Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2012, 05:22 AM   #1 
BudgetPhoenix

Wow my betta fish ate my Ghost shrimp!

I went home on lunch and witnessed my betta attack one of my 4 Ghost shrimp killing it, then proceed to swallow it whole. I don't know how it managed to swallow it, it was a decent sized shrimp. It gulped it up tail first but couldnt manage to get the head down. It just swam around with a shrimp head and attena sticking out of its mouth!!! My betta looked every bloated with an inch long shrimp in his gullet. I wanted to watch more but had to go back to work. I come back from work and no sign of the shrimp. I can only find 2 shrimp in my 5g tank now. I think my betta must have killed another while I was gone.
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #2 
Myates

Bettas will do that.. have to remember, bettas are insectivores by nature, carnivores if given chance.

I love shrimp, but wouldn't put them in my tanks for fear of seeing that.. as fish can drown, and it happens more from too big of food getting stuck then from anything else. Just scary.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #3 
scootshoot

Just not much elbow room in a 5 for shrimps to go unnoticed. Also, aside from a larger tank, if you want to increase your chances of them co-existing, introduce the shrimp first followed by the betta.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #4 
BudgetPhoenix

It was weird the fish never seemed to be bothered by them before, I was worried of my fish dying too, from trying to swallow it. This shrimp was 2 inches in length from antenna to tail
Old 02-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #5 
jasonh
Banned

i got several ghost shrimp and i love them. they seem too fast for my bettas to catch.

i had to remove them from the tank with my more aggressive betta, but i have a white dragonscale that doesn't really bother them. they are keeping the tank cleaner and are fun to watch.

my white betta occasionally pokes at them and chases them out of his spongebob pineapple house but that's it.

now i have a 'pregnant' ghostshrimp and i need to take her out to her own tank but they're so hard to catch!
jasonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:55 AM   #6 
BudgetPhoenix

Well all my ghost shrimp have disappeared i'm guessing the betta made them snacks
Old 02-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #7 
daniomania

WOW!!! my mollies ate my ghost shrimp too!! :)
daniomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:44 AM   #8 
bettaWOMP

I woke up to a swollen betta and the chewed remains of a shrimp body hanging out of his mouth. It looks like fungus at first, so I freaked for a sec, then I noticed the shell of a shrimp head floating in the same area. I put two and two together. Is Blue going to get sick?

Planted, co2, 10g, betta, pleco, 5 black xray tetras, 1 ghost shrimp
bettaWOMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:53 AM   #9 
givemethatfish

This may not be funny, but I'm kind of cracking up thinking of a betta just swimmin' around with half a shrimp hanging out of his mouth. Like oh yeah, hi. I just ate your shrimps.
givemethatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:55 PM   #10 
bettaWOMP

I laughed. He hasn't shown any aggression towards the last remaining shrimp, but I bet given the chance he'd eat that one too.
bettaWOMP is offline   Reply With Quote