Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #1 
BettaMommy531rip

Talking Calling all Gardeners!

Hey guys! I was just wondering if any of you had a gardening hobby. If you do feel free to post about your garden (with pics please!) on here! I love gardening, but up until this point I've only done it with my mom in her garden. Now I want to start up a garden of my own. I plan on having a lily garden (I love lilies!), a sunflower/wildflower garden, and an "edible" garden which will consist of vegetables and herbs. I know it sounds like alot for a beginner, but I won't have 3 huge gardens. My different plans are more like... "sections" to one big garden.

I was also wondering if anyone had read Birdie's Book or any of the other books in that series by Jan Bozarth? I REALLY love that book and was wondering if anyone else had read it and enjoyed it as much as I had. It's a far cry from my reading level (not to sound snobbish), but I like to call it a "light read" instead of a "children's book." It's not a picture book, it has 250 pages+. I suggest everyone read it, old or young.
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #2 
MandiceP

Sadly I'm allergic to most flowers that I find pretty. I do have plans for a window box herb garden tho come spring time! We live in a second floor apartment but we have a beautiful huge window in the front of the house that gets lots of nice sun throughout the day and I love having fresh herbs to cook with. So any tips on building a secure window box and gardening small amounts of herbs would be appreciated.
MandiceP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #3 
BettaMommy531rip

Sorry I don't have any tips as I'm a newbie as well. But that sounds absolutely lovely. There is also something called a pizza garden. You plant basil, tomatoes, oregano, and a few other herbs if you want in one pot and then you can use them for pizza and other things as well. I had one it died when winter hit, but that's normal. :)
Old 02-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #4 
MandiceP

My roomie would love that. He's obsessed with Italian food! LOL I hate tomatoes sadly tho. I was thinking just a wide assortment of things like parsley, thyme, rosemary, basil, dill, you know... you're every day kinda stuff! LOL I am going to look up some herb window boxes when I get home from work (the only way I get away with being on here during work is cause it's "fish related" and I work at a LPS... lol) and I'll post some links if I find some! I can't wait to see what you come up with tho!
MandiceP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:32 AM   #5 
BettaMommy531rip

I can't wait either! (to see your or my gardens) I had this idea of planting a circle of saplings (apple trees, pear trees, and some dogwoods) and then making a little haven inside, with a few flowers and it would just be a nice place to get away. :)
Old 02-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #6 
1fishBlueFish

I garden unfortunately the home we were renting was foreclosed on (through no cause of ours)

Here's my garden last Spring though

Now we are in an apartment and I'll probably plant something along the house this year
1fishBlueFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #7 
BettaMommy531rip

1fish that is a beautiful garden! I'm hoping to start one sometime soon! :)
Old 02-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #8 
Silverfang

when I was younger I used to have a nice flower garden, the center of which was a gorgeous peony that came back year after year.

Living here in this city, not as much space, and as much time. I have a small box garden now, just a bit smaller than the one 1fish posted. Don't think Ihave any pictures of it. But I have two columbine plants and two bleeding hearts (one was moved down into the lawn). Unfortunately the plants I'd really like to have won't grow in it.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #9 
BettaMommy531rip

I luv bleeding hearts! They are gorgeous! I'm sorry you don't have the space. We have a few ideal mulch areas on our property that my mom never got around to planting, and I want to plant them like I said in the original post, but maybe I'll plant some fruit tree saplings or deciduous trees.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:57 AM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I stopped planting stuff in my yard for 2 rwasons. One, I can't get down on my hands and knees because of bad knees and 2, whenever I put pansies out they became dinner for the rabbits.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote