Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #1 
karpediem
New Member
 
karpediem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Dog's food question ??

I have a white german shepherd, he is around 4 years old, he is very active and eat healthy.
I was wondering if it is ok to give chocolate to my dog ?? I mean like anything mix with chocolate such as donuts, ice cream, candy, cookies, cakes ect... can dog eat that ?? I heard few of my friends said that dog cannot eat chocolate, they will get sick or even die, i don't know if it is true or false because i have never search for that information.
Could you please give me some advices??
Attached Images
 
karpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #2 
LolaQuigs
Member
 
LolaQuigs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MO
Chocolate contains a chemical compound called theobromine that is VERY toxic to dogs. Never give your dog anything containing chocolate. The higher the percentage of cocoa, the more dangerous it is, but definitely never let your dog have any kind of chocolate.

Generally, it's best to feed healthy dog treats with high quality ingredients rather than human snacks that contain a lot of fat or calories.

Last edited by LolaQuigs; 02-19-2012 at 10:02 PM.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #3 
pasoindy
New Member
 
pasoindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Maryland
Chocolate is poisonous to dogs, dark chocolate especially so. Some dogs are more sensitive than others. One of my old dogs survived eating 1/2 a pound of chocolate mints and just barfed minty piles all over the house - we were away from home when she got into them. Here is a good list of plants and foods to avoid:

http://www.dogster.com/dog-health-ca...foods-for-dogs

ETA: one plant that I notice is not on there is the Black Eyed Susan. It and other coneflowers can cause throat irritation and gastric and kidney issues.

Last edited by pasoindy; 02-19-2012 at 10:20 PM.
pasoindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:21 AM   #4 
karpediem
New Member
 
karpediem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
So it is true then, wow good that i asked first.

karpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #5 
LolaQuigs
Member
 
LolaQuigs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MO
Your dog is beautiful, by the way!
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #6 
fishman12
Member
 
fishman12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: ........
Also it depends on the amount ingested and the dog size... My Great Dane (now deceased, not from chocalate) once ate around 20 chocalate cupcakes plus half the plastic wrap on them and was fine... (not recommended)
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:16 AM   #7 
laughing
Member
 
laughing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: US
Small amounts of chocolate will not harm your dog, but it is advised not to give any. While chocolate is rarely FATAL (deadly) to a dog, there are many other negatives that could happen. Vomitting is the most common, but also seizures, heart issues, etc can easily happen as well. None of which are good.

It would generally take 50-80oz of milk chocolate to kill an 80lb dog. It would take 15-25oz of semisweet chocolate to kill an 80lb dog. It would only take 5-8oz of baker's chocolate to kill an 80lb dog. It is very rare white chocolate will kill a dog as there are only small amounts of cocoa, but can easily lead to heart problems and seizures.

It isn't the chocolate itself, but the cocoa.

So what everyone has told you is absolutely correct. To keep your dog healthy, never feed chocolate! Even white chocolate.

Also, in certain dogs, it may take much less to be fatal... It tends to vary on the dog itself. Better safe than sorry..
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:23 AM   #8 
CarmanDirda
Member
 
CarmanDirda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United States
Very small amounts won't harm them, but it's best to avoid people food, unless you're giving them plain meat (and maybe some fruits and veggies on occasion). Dogs are mainly carnivores, but are omnivorous, and benefit from the occassional fruit or veggie snack.

Most dog food isn't very natural, and those that are cost an arm and a leg, so you should give your dog bits of banana every now and then rather than chocolate. Some other snacks are good, but research first. Some things can hurt your dog.
CarmanDirda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #9 
Bombalurina
Member
 
Bombalurina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Australia
How do those fake dog chocolates (I think they are carob?) rate as dog treats?
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #10 
LolaQuigs
Member
 
LolaQuigs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
How do those fake dog chocolates (I think they are carob?) rate as dog treats?
My dog has a serious sweet tooth, so he LOVES carob. It's perfectly safe, though not tremendously healthful (basically "empty calories") so it's fine as an occasional treat, but it's best not to go overboard.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fry Food Question Thomasdog Breeding Betta Fish 4 02-18-2012 11:59 PM
Question regarding food lesan101 Betta Fish Care 3 09-29-2011 12:50 AM
My dog's a killer!!!! baylee767 The Lounge 4 04-13-2011 09:23 PM
Question About Food eggman123 Betta Fish Care 7 09-26-2010 08:41 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.