Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #11 
BettaMommy531rip

Plant some daffodils. I hear that they are animal repelent.
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #12 
Aus

I'm one of those dead keen cottage gardeners that has been known to rip up an entire lawn to make room for flower beds and veggies.

Sadly, an illness now prevents me from mucking about in the dirt so much. I miss my garden. :( I even miss my shovel and hoe. And the compost!

So I'm thinking of gardening in manageable containers, just some herbs and tomatoes.. maybe a few cosmos and cornflowers, I miss those terribly. Oh, and roses. Definitely lavender...

How do I choose just a few things?

If you could only grow a limited amount of flowers/herbs/veggies, what would you choose?

(oh, and daffodils are toxic, the bulbs especially so, not good for animals who might eat 'em)
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #13 
Rosso1011

Well, since I am in an apartment, the most I can ever hope to grow would be an herb garden.
If I did however have more space, however limited, I would plant some romaine lettuce, tomatoes, green peppers, and either yams or potatoes. Peas and corn would be awesome, but those require some growing space. It would also be nice to have some fruit bearing trees. Pear trees tend to be smaller and grow well where I live (Virginia).
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #14 
Aus

Rosso, I've seen some lovely potted apple trees, variety 'Ballerina' - they're small and grow like a pole, with apples hanging off. Very pretty, and they do grow well in tubs - and there's dwarf peach, fig and pear varieties as well - with full sized fruit!

Info:
A midget pear tree! Upright with densely covered branches, with large bright green leaves. This compact tree is ideal for the small garden or for a large planter pot. TrixzieŽ Pear bears large, slightly rounded, green skinned, full size fruit.

Tree grows to approximately 1.5 x 1.5 metres. (I wonder how well it espaliers..)

Last edited by Aus; 02-17-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #15 
Rosso1011

I think a tree might be a little bit much, but maybe I can manage to pot some tomatoes. I think tomato might be one of my favorite fruits.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:08 AM   #16 
BettaMommy531rip

I'd love to have a fruit tree in the house!
Old 02-19-2012, 07:20 AM   #17 
BettaMommy531rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
I'm one of those dead keen cottage gardeners that has been known to rip up an entire lawn to make room for flower beds and veggies.

Sadly, an illness now prevents me from mucking about in the dirt so much. I miss my garden. :( I even miss my shovel and hoe. And the compost!

So I'm thinking of gardening in manageable containers, just some herbs and tomatoes.. maybe a few cosmos and cornflowers, I miss those terribly. Oh, and roses. Definitely lavender...

How do I choose just a few things?

If you could only grow a limited amount of flowers/herbs/veggies, what would you choose?

(oh, and daffodils are toxic, the bulbs especially so, not good for animals who might eat 'em)
I would plant lilies, sunflowers, some fragrant herbs, definitely basil, some tomatoes... You're right, there's no way to just pick a few. About the daffodils, animals stay away from them because they sense that they are toxic, deer and just about everything else stay away.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #18 
1fishBlueFish

All out truth? Petunias have been the best thing ever. I planted them in my garden last year and they grew like MAD! They overtook the garden and grew in wild bunches

See how wild the Petunias went

If anyone out there wants to garden but is worried about killing things. Do Petunias. I got them from walmart for $7 total and they lasted until OCTOBER. Periodically I would go out and pluck off the dead blossoms so new ones would grow but beyond that? I just let them go wild
1fishBlueFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #19 
Aus

I've had some amazing petunia displays, 1fishbluefish - what I love about them is that you can poke them into any old gap in the general greenery and they're always happy to brighten it up a bit. I do like your purple/white ones in the pic.

Bettamommy, basil is such a winner. I grew an 'annual' Greek Basil bush for three solid years before it finally went to seed and perished. How many meals it helped to flavour I cannot say, but I was always grateful to it for thriving on and on, so our pasta sauces and such were that little bit yummier.

I love tomatoes, too, Rosso. I grew up in 'tomato country', acres and acres of the things. Nothing is so tasty as fully ripe tomato that is warm from a day in the sun.

Roma is a fabulous variety - it has a strong flavour for both salads and sauces, is hardy in a pot, and the bush doesn't get massive and top-heavy like some varieties do. Cherry tomatoes are also wonderful (though for me, hardly any ever actually make it to the table...).
Old 02-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #20 
Rosso1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Roma is a fabulous variety - it has a strong flavour for both salads and sauces, is hardy in a pot, and the bush doesn't get massive and top-heavy like some varieties do. Cherry tomatoes are also wonderful (though for me, hardly any ever actually make it to the table...).
I am the same way with cherry tomatoes. It's really funny because I was allergic to them when I was younger.