Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #1 
Zappity

Should I get him this?

I'm thinking about getting Mr. Bubbles a Floating Betta Log (also a sponge filter...and test-kit...and whatever else I can talk my Mom into xD)...do your boys like them? I don't want it to go to waste.

Last edited by Zappity; 02-19-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #2 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappity View Post
I'm thinking about getting Mr. Bubbles a Floating Betta Log...do your boys like them? I don't want it to go to waste. (also a sponge filter...and test-kit...and whatever else I can talk my Mom into xD)
!! I think I'm about to go buy one, depending on price. I'll let you know how it turns out. :)

I have heard of some bettas that are obsessed with their betta log, though.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #3 
Tappy4me

My guys all absolutely love them!

Well, the guys that I have them in their tanks anyways. The others all have those Betta Hammock leaves, which they love too.
Tappy4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #4 
Zappity

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfish View Post
!! I think I'm about to go buy one, depending on price. I'll let you know how it turns out. :)

I have heard of some bettas that are obsessed with their betta log, though.
Cool! okay! thanks :)
omg, obsessed? xD that's okay, unless he, like, never leaves it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappy4me View Post
My guys all absolutely love them!

Well, the guys that I have them in their tanks anyways. The others all have those Betta Hammock leaves, which they love too.
Okay, thanks! :) The only thing I'm worried about, is, I'm reading reviews on Amazon and a couple people say it tore their fish's fins, and quite a few said the paint is chipping..do you have this issue?
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #5 
Tappy4me

Quote:
Cool! okay! thanks :)
omg, obsessed? xD that's okay, unless he, like, never leaves it..

Okay, thanks! :) The only thing I'm worried about, is, I'm reading reviews on Amazon and a couple people say it tore their fish's fins, and quite a few said the paint is chipping..do you have this issue?
Yea, the paint does come off after awhile, but I haven't found it to cause any issues. It hasn't torn any of my guys fins, but it did tear some of Draco's (my dragonscale plakat who has a tendency for finding trouble) scales. But it was more his fault vs the log as he would wedge himself between it and the tank wall, and would try to jump it looking for food. I had to remove it because he kept injuring himself on it. But I have had it in with my VT Big Red for 2 years or so now with no problems, nor any problems with my halfmoon Shadowfax or Remi.
Tappy4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #6 
jasonh
Banned

Quote:
I'm thinking about getting Mr. Bubbles a Floating Betta Log (also a sponge filter...and test-kit...and whatever else I can talk my Mom into xD)...do your boys like them? I don't want it to go to waste.
i heard some reviews say that the floating betta log has sharp edges.
if you buy it you might want to take a file to it.

i have a betta hammock but neither of my fish use it even though one of him is a habitual sitter.

sometimes i throw celery in the tank and they like swimming around it
jasonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

I like the concept of them, but not the look - I find they look quite fake. I'm considering making one of my own out of styrofoam and covering it with bark or sand on the outside, then java moss or fontanalis, for a natural look. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #8 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I like the concept of them, but not the look - I find they look quite fake. I'm considering making one of my own out of styrofoam and covering it with bark or sand on the outside, then java moss or fontanalis, for a natural look. :)
That's how I feel, too... I ended up getting a leaf hammock, since it's at least a leaf... so it looks a bit more natural. Sky LOVES it, though!
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #9 
vilmarisv

I agree they are not the pretiest things to place in your tank.
I have one and my guy loves it.
I always inspect anything I put in my tanks and I did find the log to have too much of a rough surface for my peace for mind so I filed it down quite a bit.
The paint does flake off, I just scrub it really well everytime I perform water changes until I can't see more paint coming off.
I'm setting up new tanks and I'm still debating on using betta logs. If I do, I'll have to paint them because they won't match my decor... we'll see.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:24 AM   #10 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
They not too bad. Once it's been sitting in the tank for months the log starts showing wear due to the water environment (loses it's shine), and dependent on how much light your tank gets, green algae starts forming on it as well which improves the natural look.

Here is mine that's been sitting in the 5 gallon for close to a year now.

Name:  004.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  54.3 KB
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote