Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #1 
Hopeseeker

Question Starting a New Aquarium

What would be the best aquarium starting liquid? Heard there are ones that help produce the good bacteria for fishies....please help! Going to be redoing a small aquarium and starting another around the same time!!!
Thanks!!
Hopeseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

IMO-most of the products to help cycle are a waste of time and money....

Depending on the tank size, filtration, if you plan live plants, finial stocking...usually you can safely establish the nitrogen cycle with the fish provided that you are willing and able to make the needed water changes.

The fishless method you really need to have a good freshwater master test kit to test-ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH, while I highly recommend a good test kit-you also don't have to have one on hand to establish the nitrogen cycle on a small filtered tank with a single Betta- since you can take water to pet shop to be tested....On larger heavy stocked tanks-you really need a test kit to make it easier and safer....

What size tanks, what kind of filtration, any live plants planned and finial stocking do you plan....and do you have a test kit.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #3 
Hopeseeker

My aquariums are both 1.8 gallon w/built in tetra whisper filtration systems. The one that's is going to be redone has 2 smaller live plants and going to add 1 more. (This will replace the 1 plant that died and was removed about a month ago, bringing it back up to 3 live plants total.)
What do you mean by finial stocking?
Going to be making Baffles for both aquariums. Replacing the glass gems with smaller recycled glass gravel, and possibly some aquarium sand. (If I didn't order quite enough of the glass gravel for both the aquariums.) Possibly replacing one of the old live plants with one that doesn't have nasty black look on leaves. Going to be getting live plants for new aquarium. Have almost all that I will need, even got Jericho some better food he likes. Going to be getting a master test kit, just trying to not go broke. Might have to wait a tiny bit to get that. Most cost around $30. Used to have a nice set...got rid of it due to not having a betta for awhile and not knowing if the sets have an expiration time.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #4 
Jrf456

Don't even bother trying to cycle a tank that small.
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #5 
Hopeseeker

About what size aquarium do you start the cycling process? I eventually, once my boyfriend and I have a bigger place, want to start a sorority tank. Might not be for awhile, but would love to store up info!!!
Old 02-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

I am really having a hard time reading your text-could you possibly change it to normal fonts and color...I am old and my vision is not the best......

From what I can read-you have 1.8gal filtered tanks that will house a single Betta in each...correct.....

While the small filtered tank will cycle-the cycle may not be stable due to limited surface area for the beneficial bacteria to colonize and will still need 50% twice weekly water changes to maintain water quality and depending on the species of plants and if they are thriving-you may be able to reduce water changes to 1-50% weekly with light vacuum in all areas you can reach without moving anything or disruption of plant roots

What species of plants, what kind of lights, age of bulbs, watts, kelvin and photoperiod....proper lights are the driving force behind successful live plants in the aquarium....
Old 02-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #7 
scootshoot

I concur, I have perfect 20-40 vision and even I am having difficulty reading your text in purple.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #8 
Hopeseeker

Sorry!!! Like variety in font/color.....I'll just stick with this font, if it's better.
My aquariums have built in led lights plus they get some light from florescent lights in the room. The florescent lights are on constantly, as my boyfriend doesn't like to turn off lights. The led lights are on whenever one or both of us are home and turned off later at night for Jericho to go to sleep.
As for the plants, they are 2 kinds of Anubis plants. Jericho likes to sit on the leaves.
What do you mean by finial stocking?
Ok, maybe I should just forget fonts altogether....lol!

Last edited by Hopeseeker; 02-12-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Kinda small for me....maybe someone with better eye sight will be along to help...I can't see it well enough to help you....sorry......

Good luck....
Old 02-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #10 
Ayane Hajinmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Kinda small for me....maybe someone with better eye sight will be along to help...I can't see it well enough to help you....sorry......

Good luck....
sorry is off topic but you make me lol (laugh out loud)
Ayane Hajinmon is offline   Reply With Quote