Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #1 
PurdueBoy

Introduction

Hi everyone today I just picked up my first betta. I have have big freshwater aquariums in the past and have a 29 gallon reef setup and does anyone have any tips to help my betta thrive? It is a dragonscale betta from pet-smart and he is currently acclimating in my tank.

Set up

5G Fluval Chi Aquairum with Fluval Lid
50W Finnex Heater with attached digital thermometer set at 81 degress
Aqueon Betta Food Pellets
Gold mystery snail as tankmate
Assorted chemicals
PurdueBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #2 
Draug Isilme

Welcome to the forum, PurdueBoy ^.^ Betta's aren't too hard to please, you've got the basics. I see you've had experience with havnig a reef setup, which is aweseome! Anyway, I suppose you're doing a fish-in cycle?
Also, if you didn't know already, keep an eye out on the ammonia level- mystery snails poop quite a bit so without the tank being cycled or the tank being heavily planted, you might get a spike in ammonia and possibly kill your new buddies...
With food, usually variety is key if you want them to really thrive. What kind of food do you have for your snail?
What kind of 'assorted chemicals'. Sounds kinda scary xD
Also, just a bit of info, apparently the betta's they sell as 'dragonscales' are actually called plakats. They more or less call them 'dragonscale' because of the coloring and to upsell the betta (obviously 'dragonscale sounds waaay cooler than 'plakat'.. always makes me think of plaque >.>;....), but you can find other varieties of betta that are dragonscale. I swear my betta is a dragonscale 'cause I've seen a plakat that looked EXACTLY like my halfmoon betta, save for the short tail and such.... It was kinda funny xD
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #3 
PurdueBoy

He seems to be doing well I haven't ever had a fish that eats after putting him in the tank^^ The tank seems kind of lonely though what else can be used as tankmates?
PurdueBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #4 
Draug Isilme

If you already have a snail with your betta, you're pretty much at the most you can have in a 5g.... There really isn't much room for tank mates in such a small tank. Pretty much the tank mates you do have room for are snails (depending on the type) and shrimp. Otherwise, you can divide the tank and have another betta in it...
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #5 
MandiceP

The fluval chi would be really hard to divide... and since it is taller than it is wide, or it is a cube, I can't remember... it wouldn't really give each male a lot of room. I'd say just stick with what you have. Less is more some times ;) I would love to see a picture of your setup if you have one...
MandiceP is offline   Reply With Quote