Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #1 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Stocking ideas! :D

I thought it'd be nice to have a thread to share some stocking Ideas! :)

I want a large tank. DESPERATELY! I made a plan for a 30 gallon with some fairly common fish, that just happen to all be readily available at my favourite LPS. xD

-4 Platties
-2 Dwarf Gouramis
-8 Ember Tetras
-5 Longfin Zebra Danios
-6 Panda Cories
-6 Albino Cories
-1 Nerite Snail

Is there any flaws in this? According aqadvisor.com said it would be 100% stocked and everyone should get along. :)
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

Aqadivor should never be used as a final say-so. It's a good starting point for new fishkeepers, but beyond that has limited use.

It seems pretty solid, but I notice a few problems in parameters. Dwarf gourami and the ember tetras like soft, acidic water and platies and other livebearers do best in hard, alkaline water. Also unless you have a male and female dwarf gourami you might run into some aggression issues with two males as they are very much like bettas. They are in the same family.

If you want some more information on all the individual fish species you should check out the fish profiles at the parent site of Bettafish.com, TFK. http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/profiles/ The individual profiles will give you more info on tank size, temperature, pH, and hardness.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #3 
Zappity

+1 to koimaiden, but I have some wild stocking ideas of my own xD

I want a 300 gal tank with either a gigantic sorority or a saltwater tank :D
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:28 PM   #4 
kfryman

Zappity that would be one hell of a sorority! But that would cost a lot of money to plant it, and it would have to probably be live plants... I don't think they make fake plants for that size of a tank lol. Maybe you can get Amano to design the layout lol. His tanks are amazing!
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #5 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Aqadivor should never be used as a final say-so. It's a good starting point for new fishkeepers, but beyond that has limited use.

It seems pretty solid, but I notice a few problems in parameters. Dwarf gourami and the ember tetras like soft, acidic water and platies and other livebearers do best in hard, alkaline water. Also unless you have a male and female dwarf gourami you might run into some aggression issues with two males as they are very much like bettas. They are in the same family.

If you want some more information on all the individual fish species you should check out the fish profiles at the parent site of Bettafish.com, TFK. http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/profiles/ The individual profiles will give you more info on tank size, temperature, pH, and hardness.
Oh, I've been using aqadvisor religiously. xD I've looked at the profiles on TKF you linked and they are very detailed. How do you tell the difference between a male and female dwarf gourami?

Would my best bet be to change the plan to this:

-2 Dwarf Gouramis
-8 Ember Tetras
-8 Longfin Zebra Danios
-7 Panda Cories
-7 Albino Cories
-1 Nerite Snail
Old 02-12-2012, 08:12 AM   #6 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappity View Post
+1 to koimaiden, but I have some wild stocking ideas of my own xD

I want a 300 gal tank with either a gigantic sorority or a saltwater tank :D
+1 To the gigantic sorority! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Zappity that would be one hell of a sorority! But that would cost a lot of money to plant it, and it would have to probably be live plants... I don't think they make fake plants for that size of a tank lol. Maybe you can get Amano to design the layout lol. His tanks are amazing!
Is amano a member of this site?
Old 02-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #7 
Pitluvs

I have a 29g tank with Sword tails, 2 types of Tetras, Danios, Harlequin Rasboras and one Dwarf Neon Gourami. Please.. a Dwarf will be so much happier on it's own. You should never own two males, a male and a female shouldn't really be housed together as the male can get aggressive after breeding (they are much like Bettas) and well... most people don't want dull females. A single male dwarf would get along great with your other fish.

Other than that, I would only go with one type of cory, as you're looking at 33 fish in a 30g tank :S

But good choice on not picking any live bearers LOL

And I have fake plants in my 29g that go from top to bottom :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #8 
diablo13

Did Aqadvisor say 100% stocking or 100% filter capacity? Koi maiden is right, it's a good guideline, but I wouldn't go above 90% stoking and 130% filter capacity on that site. It says my 29 gallon has 115% filter capacity on it, but I can NEVER get the nitrates below 40. And I have like 5 Java Ferns in it. Just thought I'd add.
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:52 AM   #9 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
I have a 29g tank with Sword tails, 2 types of Tetras, Danios, Harlequin Rasboras and one Dwarf Neon Gourami. Please.. a Dwarf will be so much happier on it's own. You should never own two males, a male and a female shouldn't really be housed together as the male can get aggressive after breeding (they are much like Bettas) and well... most people don't want dull females. A single male dwarf would get along great with your other fish.

Other than that, I would only go with one type of cory, as you're looking at 33 fish in a 30g tank :S

But good choice on not picking any live bearers LOL

And I have fake plants in my 29g that go from top to bottom :)
That sound like a nice tank. :) I know that dwarf gouramis are in the same family as bettas, but are they as agressive as bettas? I have guppies, and boy! They poop a lot. lol I wish I could have live plants, but it's too expensive. . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo13 View Post
Did Aqadvisor say 100% stocking or 100% filter capacity? Koi maiden is right, it's a good guideline, but I wouldn't go above 90% stoking and 130% filter capacity on that site. It says my 29 gallon has 115% filter capacity on it, but I can NEVER get the nitrates below 40. And I have like 5 Java Ferns in it. Just thought I'd add.
It says it's at 98% stocking and I think 126% filtration. BTW, thanks for adding! Your welcome to. :)

So, the stocking plan is now:
-1 Male Dwarf Gourami
-8 Ember Tetras
-8 Longfin Zebra Danios
-8 Panda Cories
-1 Nerite Snail

BTW, I'm not going to be doing this plan anytime soon. It's only for fun (unless I get a 30 Gallon tank! lol)!
Old 02-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #10 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
So, the stocking plan is now:
-1 Male Dwarf Gourami
-8 Ember Tetras
-8 Longfin Zebra Danios
-8 Panda Cories
-1 Nerite Snail

BTW, I'm not going to be doing this plan anytime soon. It's only for fun (unless I get a 30 Gallon tank! lol)!
This sounds like a better stocking plan. The only thing I would check is temp requirements. I know gourami like higher temps (above 78F), and I'm pretty sure danio perfer lower temps (below 78F). Ideally you want to keep fish in the lower to middle of their temp range. Making a fish live on the extreme upper end of its preferred range will cause a shorter life span.

Plants can make a difference with stocking levels but only if you have a heavily planted tank. And if you have a heavily planted tank you will likely need to fertilize it to get the growth you want. Also the type of plants matter greatly. If you have a bunch of slow-growing plants they won't take up much nitrogen. The fast growing stem and floating plants will make a difference, but a few anubias or other slow-growing plants won't.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote