Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #1 
chix0r

What's this brown stuff on my plant?

I've had this plant for a month or two, and I noticed some brown fuzzy-looking stuff on it. That's the only place in the tank where I see it. Should I be worried about it?

The tank doesn't really get any sunlight, and it only has an LED light. The stuff is on the plant directly under the LED light.
chix0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #2 
Draug Isilme

Looks like diatoms- brown algae. How long have you had your tank up and running? If it is, all you have to do is maintenance- use your fingers to rub it off, a soft tooth brush, or something to wipe it off. So long as you keep it at bay, it'll eventually go away- sometimes it still comes back, but its algae- you're going to get at least a little bit of it in your fish tank regardless...

Edit: Also, what kind of plant is that? Is it real or fake? Looks real, but kinda hard to tell in the pic ^.^;;
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #3 
chix0r

The tank has been up for about 5 months. It's a real java fern. I've only had live plants in the tank for the past 2 months. I think I tried literally every kind of plastic/silk plant that exists, and my betta ripped his tail on all of them.

I wound up sucking up the algae with the siphon when I did a water change. Came right off without a problem. Thanks for letting me know it's nothing serious!

Last edited by chix0r; 02-15-2012 at 10:02 AM.
chix0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #4 
Draug Isilme

No prob ^.^ Diatoms usually show up after a few months in when a new tank is up and running, so it's definitely nothing out of the ordinary. Just make sure it stays off your java fern, since it's a live plant- algae can disrupt your plants photosynthesis period if light gets blocked off enough...
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote