Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #1 
ChantelJohnson

Exclamation Help broken thermometer!!!

I dont know what to do. I woke up this morning to seeing glass at the bottom of my tank. There are no bettas in the tank yet do to the fact that I was trying to cycle the tank. I finally realized where the broken glass came from and it was from the thermometer that was in the tank. Should I discard everything in the tank like my sand substrate or just siphon the area where the glass was broken. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
ChantelJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #2 
Sakura8

:/ Siphoning the glass out might be kind of hard because I think you'd need a pretty good suction going to suck up something as heavy as glass shards. I'm afraid you'd get more sand than glass. Also, was it the kind that has little ball bearings in the tip to weigh it down? You can use a magnet to get those out but the glass part . . . how big are the shards? Can you carefully pick them out by hand? Just don't cut yourself. If it's really hard to get them out by hand, I don't know. I'd probably recommend discarding the substrate. Which really stinks because I know that's a pain in the rear and sand is expensive to boot. :(
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #3 
scootshoot

Well the most safest route is tearing the aquarium down but it's really dependent how practical that is. For instance if I had a well cycled tank that's too large to break down I would siphon as much as I could and drop a layer of sand above the substrate to help cover it up.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #4 
ChantelJohnson

@ Sakura8 yes it was the kind with the ball bearings in the tip. The glass pieces that I did see were pretty big. I scooped out the pieces with a cup. Should I be scared about the ball bearings?
ChantelJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #5 
Sakura8

If you were able to get the glass out, that's fine. You can get the ball bearings out using a magnet. I actually used the magnetic side of an algae magnet. Just run it through the sand a bunch of times until you're pretty sure you got all the ball bearings. They won't hurt the fish but over time they might rust so it's probably best to get them out.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote