the male subsequently built a huge bubble nest
so i had a 2 feet tank
i put the female in a glass jar and introduced the jar in the 2 feet tank
then introduced the male thinking that they were ready for breeding
BUT THE MALE IS HOSTILE
HE KEEPS FLARING AT THE FEMALE AND HIDING FROM HER
WHAT DO I DO NOW
WATER IS CONDITIONED WITH ALMOND LEAF EXTRACT
THEY HAVE BEEN FED WELL FOR FEW DAYS NOW...
THE FEMALES BELLY IS BLOATED AND FULL OF EGGS...

After 8 hours of them together in separate compartments in the same tank,Today i got the female out of her jar and introduced her along with the male in to the main tank..but the male got furious and started chasing her she tried to jump out of the tank twice ..i got freaked out and put her in to her bowl again.....she s just there getting fat every day..eating a lot...the male keeps flaring at her and tiring himself out...no bubble nests as yet....
coolbluemint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #2 
bettalover2033

What I am wondering is why you made yet another thread saying the same thing meanwhile I gave you advice and if you did not want mine, then you hauled have talked to someone else about it. It wasn't necessary for you to make a new thread.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #3 
coolbluemint

hi there

please do not be offended.i usually take advice from two to three people as female halfmoon bettas are very rare to get here in india.
well actually the court ship was very rugged.the male ripped of a good part of the females ventral fin.am calling the breeding off now.i never knoew breeding bettas was a tough job.thanks for your advice.The female is resting in her own fish bowl now.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #4 
bettalover2033

I know this, but I was not offended. I was just curious on why you made a new thread stating the same thing. Though if you did want more than one person to answer, ou could have just asked someone else. Though I just wanted to let you know that your thread was new and someone else would definitely have said something.

Also I must say that researching really does help and is highly recommended before deciding to breed bettas and any animal for that matter.

Last edited by bettalover2033; 02-12-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #5 
coolbluemint

well may i please request you to advise how we proceed from here.
Trying to get bettas to breed seems to be a matter of risk with life and death.
I love my bettas i have two males and two females.They have never bred in the past.They get so agitated on seeing each other.One of the males even bit of his own fin!I am pretty confused whether i should try betta breeding again.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #6 
bettalover2033

Well I would suggest doing A LOT of research and then consider breeding bettas. Bettas can have up to 500+ fry usually new breeders get on average 30-60 fry if they care fr them correctly. You will have to have a lot of glasses or containers for the male bettas to be separated.

Also breeding bettas is not a risk breeders take. Breeders would not take a risk of killing their fish if it truly was a life or death risk by breeding. I know I wouldn't. So it is not a risk of killing the fish. Most of the time the fish will have tears and missing scales on then from the other male or female. Though they would eventually spawn. For me they spawn within 2-3 days. Not including the most recent pair I have.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #7 
coolbluemint

ok i will condition the males and females with live food for 2 weeks and then see how they respond.thank you.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #8 
bettalover2033

No problem. Just make sure you have the right requirements needed.

Good luck!
Old 02-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #9 
Amphibianite

Yep, as BL2033 said, do lots of research. I have been preparing for my breeding for a good 6 months or so now. I know what it takes to breed, what is needed in the breeding tanks, etc etc.
For some people they may not be suited to breeding bettas, others it comes naturally.
Everyone has to just get themselves prepared for the risk. I have heard of males dying from the breeding, it does happen even if usually pretty rare. Its just a wait and see sort of thing.
There is aggression, they will chase each other, bite, nip, and over all have that aggressive side to it.
I really wish you the best of luck.
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #10 
tpocicat

I once lost a female after she bred, but I was told that is rare.
The best advice I can add is to be sure they are really attracted to each other and that the female has verticle stripes to indicate to the male that she is receptive. Best of luck to you.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote