Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2012, 01:21 AM   #31 
MandiceP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissylee13 View Post
and i totally agree with you there. i wish more were like me, and you! i feel like some people really think i'm lying to them just to get them to buy more stuff and when in all honesty, i just want whats best for the animals just like you!
Lets start a "we really are knowledgeable and trying to help" support group! lmao I had a lady look at me like I had ten heads when I told her that her betta needed a heater... she was like "how much?" and I showed her our cheapest heater (it's like 25$) and she actually yelled at me that I was sucking money out of her and "those fish live fine in cups their whole lives..."
MandiceP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:11 AM   #32 
Aus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissylee13 View Post
^ i think this is why my fiance started calling my male bettas "tranny fish"
Rofl!

It's so nice to hear from pet shop employees who are trying to make a difference, and it's also interesting to hear from their side of the counter. I hadn't really considered the kind of ignorance you guys must have to deal with from the pet-buying public sometimes.

I just spent a few hours researching the betta industry in Thailand, and worldwide as well. It's a much bigger $ industry than I thought, including the fighting fish and betting rings. So maybe it's idealistic to expect things to change - but I truly believe the distribution of accurate information is the key to putting a significant dint in the neglectful treatment of pet fish.

This forum does a brilliant job of teaching people better betta care, I am so glad I found it, and grateful for all the (sometimes very eye-opening) help.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #33 
chrissylee13

slinkyink: your puppy is so cute!!!! :]

MandiceP: totally agree, we should! lol. oh, i get that crazy look every time someone asks me what they need for a betta and i say they need a heater. our cheapest is actually $15. i think it's a 10W meant for up to 5 gallons. it's specifically for bettas i believe. it's tiny. but sometimes people won't even pay that much.

Aus: agreed, that's why i try to tell as many people as possible about what and who bettas really are! lol. and i love this forum. i learn so much.
chrissylee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #34 
xjenuhfur

omg cuteeee puppy! :D

Anyway, I went to petsupermarket yesterday to pick up my ghost shrimp. And there was a woman there looking at the fish with her daughter, I got my shrimp, and noticed they had marimo moss balls. I knew they were good for the tank, and they were cheaper there than anywhere else I had seen, so on a whim I decided to get one. The woman with her daughter asked me what they were for, and to my surprise, the woman helping me answered her question, correctly! She actually knew what she was talking about! Most helpful pet store employee that was actually informed! (and she gave me an extra shrimp :D )
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #35 
Luimeril

the guys at Pet Lovers don't try to teach me anything about bettas. they know i pamper my boys and girls. i DO try to teach customers, though, if no one's there and they ask me.

once, a lady wanted to buy goldfish for her daughter. me and the one guy were swapping facts back and forth, supporting each other's information. the lady didn't leave with anyone, but she learned bowls aren't' good. :V
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #36 
SlinkyInk

I am thankful for this site, I've learned so much about fish and taking care of them. I don't trust any of the employees at my Petsmart. They are just hourly employees looking for a job.
SlinkyInk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #37 
chrissylee13

haha. geez. what good and bad times we have at pet stores.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #38 
xjenuhfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinkyInk View Post
I am thankful for this site, I've learned so much about fish and taking care of them. I don't trust any of the employees at my Petsmart. They are just hourly employees looking for a job.
I don't trust anyone either! I came to this site to do all of my research before I even bought my betta. :)
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:59 PM   #39 
chrissylee13

so i felt AWESOME the other day. and totally upped one on the fellow employee that lied to me. muahahaha! i love this site. <3
Old 02-21-2012, 02:59 AM   #40 
SilkySiren

Good for you Chrissy for sticking to your guns & doing what you love. :)
This goes for anyone working in a pet store that actually cares about the animals....Ignore the haters &
coworkers who feel the need to talk down to ya...they are just insecure sad people. Bleh!
SilkySiren is offline   Reply With Quote