Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2012, 03:29 AM   #41 
frostynsnowflake118

i bought a female betta at my local petsmart the other day, and the lady asked me if i had everything i needed for her and i told her she was going in my sorority tank and she looked at me like i was nuts... especially when i told her that we had 5 girls in the tank already! I would think that petstores would cover basic animal care in their training... it would save them a ton of money in the long run
frostynsnowflake118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:54 AM   #42 
Thebettaqueen

It's sad really. I was at Petsmart and this couple was going to buy this small critter carrier and a new betta. Me just standing around looking at the new load of bettas. ( Surprisingly my store actually takes care of them) I had to inform them about the proper care and fish tank. They gladly took my advise and picked up a 5 gallon tank and picked up a heater. Then, the employee decided I was giving out the wrong info and I told him, no. I have three bettas at home and I've looked up the right care and such. HE left me alone. It's horrible how people, who work at a pet store, no nothing.
Thebettaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #43 
a123andpoof

This didn't happen with an employee but I was at petco yesterday and a woman was looking at the bettas and so I stopped and talked to her. I asked if she was going to get a betta and she told me she had 3 already and she kept them in heated 5 gallon tanks.
It always nice to find other people who care for their bettas and do the research regardless of what pet stores say! Should have asked if she knew about this site...
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:56 AM   #44 
Thebettaqueen

That's great to hear! I was thinking about going to my local petsmart and asking if I can place papers with information about proper betta care, since I've seen people talking about it before xD But I'm not sure if they'd do it. They're more into profit than animal care :/ I go in there and stare at the bettas, usually people would question me, but in this store it's like " You gonna buy one or what?" Sickens me. Though, like I said, their bettas are usually cared for pretty well..
Old 02-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #45 
a123andpoof

Its so sad seeing how all these company's only see animals as profit.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #46 
Sena Hansler

I was told a betta can fit in a large starbucks sized cup. Happily. And thrive. Happily.

Except Shiloh has to have his 20 gallon, El Dorado has to have his 10, Dally has to have his 1 gallon, The sorority inspected and welcomed all 7 guppies to their domain, Jekyll likes being with other fish, Conan has to be alone...

Betta lovers/experts up against "I got this job last year but really only sounds like I have been here for a week", misinformed employees.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #47 
chrissylee13

yup, pretty much.

it is sad though. unfortunately, i do agree, a lot of places only see animals as profits. luckily, i really feel like the store i work at genuinely cares, at least a good percentage, we try to fix the problems we're having with pets instead of saying "oh it was just a $15 hamster" or "oh it was just a fish". although, i feel like maybe i care too much sometimes. but, maybe that's why i am where i am.
chrissylee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #48 
Sena Hansler

I had a 15.00 hamster. and 2 30.00 guineas. and 12 5.00 fish their price never matters to me hehe
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:02 PM   #49 
Thebettaqueen

I recently went to Petsmart.
To my surprise, they had new fish. Healthy crowntails. Young and flaring. Half moon bettas flaring too. It was sad really, knowing that these guys would end up ill or in an inexperienced home. I was temped to pick one of them up, but I ended up taking home my first female, who was sitting in the back of petco. Which was also fresh in stock. Sadly, I couldn't get her a heater yet. I wasn't going to bother my father anymore xD Anyway. I really hope to come across a petstore that actually cares for pets..
Old 02-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #50 
CarmanDirda

Sadly, especially for store workers, wrong betta info is thrown out constantly. PetSmart for example has set standards they're told to tell the customers, and it's all so wrong.

They support the 4in x 4in boxes for the fish (with no heater or filtration) and worse. It's really awful. I don't know how these people expect the poor things to survive to a year of age most times.
CarmanDirda is offline   Reply With Quote