Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2012, 05:28 PM   #1 
banana3685

Are tetras too stressful?

Hi all; I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum. Anyway, I have a 10g tank with 3 albino corys, my betta, and 3 recently rescued tetras (their owner is my neighbor who is studying abroad and her roommates didn't want them). Sorry I don't know what kind they are -- they're red and look like neons but don't have a blue stripe. I've also got plastic plants, some caves, a heater, filter, and bubbles.

I'm currently (a) in the process of upgrading my tank decoration; (b) buying a new heater (does anyone have any recommendations? I have a Theo now and it's a piece of crap); (c) temporarily housing the tetras because I know I have too many guys in my tank now.

With that being said, I've noticed that my betta has been hiding around the tank more than usual. It could be a weather thing since I live in Wisconsin, but I have a space heater in my bedroom and a heater in the tank.

I've been monitoring for signs of disease, fungus, etc., but haven't found any. I don't have any empty tanks right now except a 2.5g bowl that I use to change the water.

Any help is appreciated! Sorry if I rambled.
banana3685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #2 
Pitluvs

Eeee some people differ on this.

I would honestly say if you were to keep them, you're going to need to upgrade your tank. Tetras, no matter what type they are, need groups of 5+ to feel secure and to stay healthy. Stressed out Tetras = sick Tetras which could make your Corys and Betta sick. Because you would need to add a few more to make the group stable, you would need a larger tank. Also, Corys should be in groups of 4+... and seeing as Albino Corys can grow to be 2.5in each, they need a larger tank as well.

Could you do a quick Google search for Tetra and see which look like yours? Personally, I wouldn't keep Tetras with Bettas unless it was Glowlight Tetra or Black Neon Tetras. They are both very docile. But most Tetras are very flighty and fast which may stress a Betta out. Most are also nippy too. But knowing what you have for a Tetra would really help :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #3 
banana3685

Thanks for the info -- they're glowlight tetras. I'm only keeping them while my aquarium-enthusiast boyfriend rearranges his tanks so he can adopt them.
As for the corys, I stupidly believed the lfs when they said that 3 would be ok. I've been looking around for them, but can't find any albinos. Do you know if they'll successfully school with any other types?
I'm ditching my 10g soon -- going to upgrade when I move to a new apartment/get more money. Broke college student problems....
banana3685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #4 
hedgehog

Cories need to be kept in groups of the same species. Albino cories are usually C. aeneus which also come in the green and bronze varieties. Bronze, albino, and green cories will school together.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:52 AM   #5 
ravenwinds

Glowlight tetras are usually very peaceful and not nippy. They like to spend a lot of their time hiding out in between plants/decorations in middle area of tank. Betta might just be stressed that something changed in his environment without his consent!
Last comment re: corys is true: they just have to be same species. Having different color corydoras in your school looks very good; to me anyway!
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #6 
daniomania

upgrade your tank is really important..Bettas normally arnt very shy(mine isnt) so id get a larger tank for them!!
good luck! :)
daniomania is offline   Reply With Quote