Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2012, 12:18 AM   #31 
lauren5cents

i fill up a 5 gallon jug of water and let it sit for 72 hours and then fill up the tank the whole way so the water should be room temperature.
lauren5cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:18 AM   #32 
lauren5cents

tank is not heated
lauren5cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:39 AM   #33 
bettafish15

I would purchase a small tank heater and a thermometer, as room temperature is cold to bettas, as they are tropical fish. Also, if you get water condtioner such as Prime or Nutrafin, you don't have to let the water sit for 72 hours, you can add it right away.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #34 
Bonbonisbff

+1 to bettafish15
Bonbonisbff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:13 AM   #35 
SilkySiren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post
very colorful and creative. I love it. I think you have plenty of hiding spaces. I use 4 coffee mugs and they like those. I have 6 gals in a ten gallon. They had issues at first and I have wanted to give up several times, I tell you. These gals can be a pain but they are worth it. I don't know if I sound like a total idiot or not but I see you have two tall plants and no lid. I love my lid since it keeps debree out (I have three doggys) and the girls in. If you were able to put a lid on there you could also add another gallon or two of water it looks like. May help with the little bit of extra swimming room. Ignore me everybody if I sound goofy please I was just thinking.
That is a very pretty set up! :) I have to second the need for a cover though...I had a female
jump out of a 16G rect. tank (about 20 inches high) unexpected when I was rearranging plants, and picking her off the tile (thank god it wasnt carpet) was horrifying...but, she lived & acted like nothing happened..silly girl!

Keep at this....once you get a group who settles their issues, it's amazing watching them
all live together!
SilkySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:10 PM   #36 
Jaysbettas24

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyN View Post
I released 6 females into my 10g on thursday. At first there was mostly chasing and hardly any bites.

Today I came home from work to find that one of the girls (who seems to get chased and bit more than the rest do) has had her fins torn pretty badly. I isolated the fish that I think is responsible. (she chases and bites most of the other girls as well, just not as bad)

Now I don't know what to do.
Should I take her (the biter) out of the sorority permanently and replace her with a new fish? Give it time and reintroduce her (if so how long should I wait?)? Let her go back in now and let them all figure out the pecking order?

Please Help!

I read through all of your comments, there is a strong possibility that the female you though tyou had was actually a male betta. When they are bought from the store/petco they are usually tiny and grow after some time. I bought 4 female betta's for a kids bday party and ended up keeping 2 of them because it was our kids bday and they really wanted them. They both got along fine than after a month had past the red betta was pecking at the blue one alot. the blue one was always hiding. Than I went to remove the blue one from the tank and she was missing. I'm not sure if betta's can eat other betta, but she vanished. Now today we just purchased tropical community fish, we have 9 new members. When I was at the store I asked if one of the betta's i seen at the store wqas a female, and he said no, that it was a male. That male looked the same size and fins as the one I already had at home. Keep in mind she (or he) was tiny when purchased and they can't really always tell the difference. Some have short fins. Anyways, we put all the fish in the tank and the only one acting up[ was the one we had before the new members. We have 3 betta females and purchased a male, but now we have 2 males separated. its amazing. Guppies are hilarious and so fast and fun. One of the betta females is as tiny as they are and she is chasing them around being curious. I have to keep my eye on the small one. lol, but from seeing your tank I realized we need much more hiding places for them, and we can have fun in doing this.
Jaysbettas24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:13 PM   #37 
Jaysbettas24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysbettas24 View Post
I read through all of your comments, there is a strong possibility that the female you though tyou had was actually a male betta. When they are bought from the store/petco they are usually tiny and grow after some time. I bought 4 female betta's for a kids bday party and ended up keeping 2 of them because it was our kids bday and they really wanted them. They both got along fine than after a month had past the red betta was pecking at the blue one alot. the blue one was always hiding. Than I went to remove the blue one from the tank and she was missing. I'm not sure if betta's can eat other betta, but she vanished. Now today we just purchased tropical community fish, we have 9 new members. When I was at the store I asked if one of the betta's i seen at the store wqas a female, and he said no, that it was a male. That male looked the same size and fins as the one I already had at home. Keep in mind she (or he) was tiny when purchased and they can't really always tell the difference. Some have short fins. Anyways, we put all the fish in the tank and the only one acting up[ was the one we had before the new members. We have 3 betta females and purchased a male, but now we have 2 males separated. its amazing. Guppies are hilarious and so fast and fun. One of the betta females is as tiny as they are and she is chasing them around being curious. I have to keep my eye on the small one. lol, but from seeing your tank I realized we need much more hiding places for them, and we can have fun in doing this.
plus we need a lid and more water, learned a few new things thanks everyone.
Jaysbettas24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #38 
Shirleythebetta

That was a good thing to add. Didn't think about the "could be male" possibility.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote