Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #1 
betta4life

Question Is this fin rot?

So i had my betta for a little over a month, and just noticed that his fin/tail is shredding. And im not sure if it is fin rot or not? And if it is how can i get rid of it? Here are a couple pictures, sorry there so big..
Attached Images

betta4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #2 
ootfifawithbubba

Im not sure it may be . Has it been like that or has it been just more and more over night. If its overnight he may be biteing his fins im not sure im a noob to bettas but i did my reaserch until 3 in the morning so im not sure . Pla send feedback
ootfifawithbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #3 
betta4life

i just noticed it yesterday, and no i don't think he's biting himself, because it looks bout the same this morning. And i have taken out his plants, just in case it was because of them. I have also researched a ton, but everything i have seen is when they have it really bad, and so i don't know if it's early stages, he does have a in hole is his tail, that's why im kinda worried. I just don't want him dyeing on me :/
Old 04-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #4 
Tikibirds

yes, if it happened in a short period of time, like overnight or in a few hours - he very well may be tail bitting. They bite for several reasons - Anger, Bored, or just because they can. Did anything in his home change? if not, try rearranging his tank, he may just be bored. SOmetimes longer finned ones like VT and HM bite because their tails are too big/heavy...not sure about CT's though. If he is doing it just because he can - nothing you can do about it. Its kinda like humans nail bitting. The best thing is to keep his water super clean, and warm. Stress coat can help with fin regrowth but only if he stops bitting.

The hole in his tail my be a bit mark. Normally they start out as a small U shape.

Also - how often and how much do you change the water. Ammonia can also burn their fins off if the level is high enough.

Fin rot will have a black outline around the infected area, usually.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 04-26-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #5 
ootfifawithbubba

Well keep us posted i hope he will be ok . And he kinda looks like my bubba boy exept bubba has no red fins
Old 04-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #6 
ootfifawithbubba

How do you put a signature under your post
Old 04-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #7 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ootfifawithbubba View Post
How do you put a signature under your post
This isn't the place for questions like that.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #8 
betta4life

I do 100% clean once a week. And nothing in his tank has really changed, but i could do that also, I'm putting some aquarium salt in his tank and stress coat so hopefully it'll help. And ok thank's i'll keep that in mind, im glad that it's probably not fin rot :) Now i'm going to have to get him a ball or something other than the little jewels i have for him to play with lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
Also - how often and how much do you change the water. Ammonia can also burn their fins off if the level is high enough.

Fin rot will have a black outline around the infected area, usually.