Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #1 
Enkil

Help?

Something is very seriously wrong with our Hannibal.

He is in a 3.5 gal tank. Water temp is 78*. He gets a weekly 50% water change and has a filter. He has 1 decoration and a live anubias (floating). His water tests normal and he is acting fine.

In less than 24 hours, his dorsal fin has gone from growing back to being 2 little ribbons of fin. His tail is also missing quite a bit and he has some missing on his anal fin now.
He does have a history of what I believe was most likely fin rot. When we bought him, most of his dorsal was gone down to his body along with a very small section of anal fin.

I have checked him with a flashlight to get a better look at him. This does not appear to be fin rot. It doesn't look like it. No blackened ends. No curling. None of the tips are red other their natural color and none are bloody. This is moving very quickly as just a few hours ago his dorsal was fine. I do not know what is going on with him. I can't figure it out.
I've grown quite attached to him and simply do not know what to do as nothing seems to be working against this.

Could be something else eating away his fins? Is it possible he has a tougher sort of fin rot that never really went away?

I'm sorry if this is a bit jumbled at all. I just don't want to loose him.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #2 
Sakura8

Take a look at the pic on this thread and tell me if this looks like Hannibal. :(
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90086

In the meantime, get him into 1 tsp of AQ salt per gallon right away.

Also, has there been any unusual activity, anything that could have stressed him. Have you noticed him turning in circles at all?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:17 PM   #3 
Enkil

No. The fins are simply gone. His dorsal has 2 thin ribbons left. Between those 2 ribbons is gone right down to his body.

He has been acting like the normal Hannibal, so the abnormal betta.

The only thing different that we did today, I do every couple of days. He didn't get his first meal of the day but will get dinner. I do this about every 3-4 days. It's never bothered him before.

He's been flaring and swimming normally. Dancing for me when I'm close. It was just his tail before and at first it looked like just a blow out. Then there was a small chunk missing. Now there is a lot missing and bits of the anal fin too.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #4 
Sakura8

I'm wondering if he's fin biting. Sometimes when a betta gets really stressed by something, they can just take off all their fins in a matter of hours. For example, one time a cat fell into a tank. The betta housed next door must have been startled and stressed by the commotion because I took a 3 hour nap right after the incident and when I woke up, he had chewed off almost all of his fins. I'm not kidding. So I wonder if something is bothering Hannibal enough that he's severely finbiting out of stress.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #5 
Enkil

I'm not sure. I have a couple of pics though. Going to attach them to this post.

Picture 1 is a bit bad... But shows his missing tail as best as I can get. He's very upset about being confined to his cup right now.

Pictures 2 and 3 show his poor dorsal.
Pic 2: That blue strip close up? That is one of the two thin ribbons left and the longer of the two. The blurred blue line is the other.
Pic 3: Shows what is left of his dorsal - the two thin ribbons. Everything between is completely gone and had been the shortest section of his dorsal to begin with.
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #6 
Sakura8

It doesn't look like advanced rot so that's good news. If it was, I'd expect to see blackened dead tissue and I'd also expect to see Hannibal acting sick too. I'm thinking it's either finbiting or he got caught in his filter.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:49 PM   #7 
Enkil

I just checked him again. He has a couple graphite colored strips on what is left of his dorsal. Also a small spot on his anal fin.

By the time we got to any of the local pet stores, the would be closed. I don't have what he needs on hand.

I'm going to release him into his clean tank so he's less stressed with all of this. I would say that I wish my eyes were playing tricks on me, but Devon sees the discoloration now too.

Edit: Can see the discoloration slightly in Pic 3. The spot there close to the lens. In actuality it isn't dark but a graphite color.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:13 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Okay. It's best not to stress him out any more than necessary. What you want is usually very hard to find in most stores. Look for Seachem Kanaplex at a tropical fish store (not Petsmart or Petco). Otherwise, you'll have to order it. www.kensfish.com has it. In the meanwhile, keep him in 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:23 PM   #9 
Enkil

We have several tropical fish stores nearby. They wont be open until tomorrow though. I'll fish around their sites to see if they have it. If not, I'll order it and hope it gets here in time.

Also, as I was typing the above, I looked over at him since I'm feeling rather upset. I found part of his missing fin. o_o It is on the bottom under his heater so we didn't notice it before. He was sleeping under it last night and took a nap there earlier today...
Devon says he may have caught the fin in the one suction cup since it seems to have come loose slightly (now fixed). Is it possible this happened? Could he have maybe burned himself on the heater?
Old 02-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #10 
Sakura8

I doubt he burned himself on the heater, as they're designed to not burn fish - there are big fish who will actually bite their heaters out of boredom. If he did, the heater would have to be malfunctioning and in that case the water would probably be really warm. It's more likely that he got sucked into his filter or got caught in the suction cup like Devon said.

Don't panic. He's acting normally so whether it's finbiting, filter suction, or a bit of rot, he's got plenty of energy left to fight it off. :)