Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2012, 01:57 AM   #1 
LittleBettaFish

Six hour fish day *Pic heavy*

Since I just spent 6 hours moving tanks around in my fish room, I thought I'd take some photos of one of my newer betta males.

He came with a matching female, but she now lives in my sorority. He was not being very photogenic unfortunately. Much too busy moping about looking for pellets. He somehow split his tail but it is healing up nicely.

This is what his tank looks like currently. Fidget my female HMPK lives next door along with another female, Quiz (in the breeder's net).

This is my livida and tussyae males (they live in the same tank). Livida is very friendly, whereas, it took 15 minutes for Mr Tussyae to work up the courage to pose for me.

Up until today I thought this channiodes male was female, turns out he isn't. They just moved into this tank today with my he/she never having lived with this pair before. The other male is holding. He was very disgruntled at being netted and then moved around. I was surprised he didn't swallow but he is used to me poking around.

This is a shot of my middle shelf. The cloudy tank is where my channiodes are housed, while the one next to it has the tussyae and livida males. Below is my two sororities, while above is 3 males, a pair of imbellis and breeding pair of rutilans with their million fry.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:05 AM   #2 
sharka91

I love your wild bettas! i'm looking for betta burdigala. and about how big are your livida and tussyae? I have a pair of channoides. I love em!
sharka91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:10 AM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

My livida and tussyae are only small, similar in size to a female splenden but much narrower through the body. My rutilans are a few mms smaller still.

I prefer the claret complex of wilds. I'm hoping to get my hands on a breeding pair of brownorum and coccina in the next couple of weeks.

My channiodes are breeding machines. That male has had two lots of fry and it holding a third batch and I haven't owned him much longer than a month.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:03 AM   #4 
sharka91

Where do you get your wild bettas from? I'm looking into adding brownorum into my collection. I love the green spot they have.
sharka91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

I live in Australia so I get them from our AB transhipper, who also runs her own shop and imports bettas in to sell.

Don't know where to look if you live overseas.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #6 
bettasusa

these wilds bettas are gems! Beautiful photos!
bettasusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

Thanks.

I really love my wild bettas. I like the fact most can be kept together in breeding pairs, and the colours on them are really vibrant and iridescent when housed in a blackwater style set-up.

Definitely some of my favourite species of fish.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #8 
blueridge

Your wild bettas are always gorgeous! I have a stupid question to ask you, for their water do you add conditioner to it too?
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah I just use regular tap water (our water here is really really soft) conditioned with Seachem Prime.

I usually make it a few degrees colder than the tank water temperature as that initiates spawning in most of my species.

If your water is really hard, you would probably need to either use R/O or rainwater as they will not really thrive at extreme pH and KH levels.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #10 
blueridge

So if my tap water had low pH then that is ok as long as I use water conditioner? What type of plants do you use in your tanks? I noticed that some of them don't have any substrate. Also do you use Indian Almond Leaves or do you think that Oak leaves would be ok to use? Sorry for all the questions...
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote