Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2012, 04:24 PM   #11 
LittleBettaFish

If your water has low pH and KH, it should be fine to use. If your wild bettas have been aquarium-bred (which I recommend as they are friendlier and will more readily take pelleted foods), they are less sensitive than wild-caught bettas.

Since the tannins stain my water to a dark tea colour, I only use java moss as there is not enough light penetration to grow anything else.

The tanks that don't have any substrate are only my Betta splendens. All my wild tanks have substrate except for my fry grow-out tanks.

I have used Oak and Alder leaves in my wild betta tanks and had no problems with either. However, I use IAL as they look more authentic and tend to produce the highest level of tannins. '

Hope that answers everything for you.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #12 
blueridge

Yes it does thank you so much!!!!! I was also wondering want tank size should I get? Would a 5 gallon be ok if I decided to just get one? Or would I need a bigger size tank? What species would you recommend starting out with? What if I don't want to breed just have them as pets? And one last one would Aquabid's wild bettas be considered aquarium breed?
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #13 
LittleBettaFish

I would start off with a pair or reverse trio (two males, one female) of either channiodes or albimarginata. These are really friendly, easy-care wilds, and will readily breed for you if conditions are right.

Plus they are one of the most peaceful betta species, and will rarely fight with each other or other fish. They prefer to live in groups, and this will give you the best display of colour. A 10 gallon tank would be ideal for three channiodes or albis.

Personally I prefer more than 5 gallons for a breeding pair as most wilds are pretty aggro when courting. If you only have one, and it is a smaller species, a 5 gallon tank should be fine.

I have ideii and unimaculata as pets only (my ideii are a pair that like to kill each other when in together) and they are like big splendens. I've found the bigger wilds are much less timid initially than smaller species.

It usually says in the advertisement whether they are wild-caught or not. I would assume most common species of wild bettas available in the USA are aquarium-bred either by wholesalers or local breeders. Usually wilds from Thailand on AB etc. are wild-caught.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:36 PM   #14 
blueridge

Thank you soooooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Could you possibly tell me which species might be best for a 5 gallon tank?

Last edited by blueridge; 02-13-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #15 
LittleBettaFish

Anything from the coccina complex.

If it is dense enough, you could keep a pair in there. A pair of albis or channiodes could fit as well, I had two in a 2.5 gallon. I only moved mine into a 10 gallon to cut back on water changes.

You might be able to squeeze a single unimaculata complex fish in, but I'd personally prefer between 7-10 gallons for them.

Also you will need to cling wrap the entire surface of your tank. Wilds jump 100 times worse than any splenden I've owned, and I lost my best breeding pair within about a week because I was lax with my lid.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #16 
blueridge

Thank you so much!! I'll probably keep it to one or a small breeding pair I don't want the fish to get stressed out or make it a tight squeeze for them. Do you think silk plants would be ok? And have you ever traveled with yours before? I have to make at least 3 trips every year from my house to college and I don't want to stress them out if they can't handle something like that.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #17 
LittleBettaFish

Silk plants should be fine. Just make sure at least one corner is densely planted to provide them with a 'safe' area to retreat.

I'm not sure how well they'd travel. You would probably have to take most of their previous tank water with them and then slowly acclimatise them to either your home/college water, just in case there are adverse differences in water chemistry.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #18 
blueridge

Oh ok...haha I already do that for my bettas and my guppies that I take back and forth. How about medicine? Do they respond the same way that our splendens do?
Old 02-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #19 
LittleBettaFish

They tend not to get as sick as often as splendens. But I've used melafix, Myxazin and aquarium salt on mine, and it hasn't shown to have affected them in any way.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #20 
blueridge

Again thank you so much! I truly appreciated it that you answered all of my questions!!!! And I'm sorry if I bothered you at all, it's just I have been really fascinated by the wild bettas and I would love to start a tank hopefully sometime this summer.