Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #1 
nicole213

Sick betta losing fins..

My betta went through fin rot about two months ago, but since then he's been perfectly fine. He suffered quite a loss to his bottom fin though. A few weeks ago, I started using melafix to help him with the fin growth (it didn't seem like it was going to grow back on its own) and it worked amazingly, however just a week later the piece of his fin broke off again. Now, all of his fins are starting to come off. It's definitely not fin rot because he's acting completely normal (flaring at the fish beside him, eating all of his food), but melafix isn't helping at all. And by all of his fins, I literally mean every fin is starting to shorten and gradually fall off.

What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta buffet pellets.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once daily, except on weekends when he fasts for upwards of two days.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%, 100% once every two weeks or so
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner (think it acts as a stress coat as well)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:n/a
Nitrite: n/a
Nitrate: n/a
pH: n/a
Hardness: n/a
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? The ends of all of his fins are becoming frayed and then falling off.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? None, if anything he is more aggresive
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Last week
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Melafix for the past three weeks (1/4 teaspoon every day)

Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes (fin rot once for quite a while)
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him for four months, unsure how old he could be.
nicole213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #2 
Tobythefish

Melafix can be harmful to a bettas labyrinth organ. It would probably be best if you stopped the Melafix. It's the same with bettafix, so don't buy that either.

All you need to do for water changes in a 2.5 gallon tank is one 50% and one 100% change, so two changes a week. The freequent water changes could be causing him to tail bite from stress, so with the schedule above, he might stop tailbiting because of the smaller amount of stress. The medication could be stressing him out too. It's fin rot if the edges turn black or red and look crusty. I've never had a tail biter, but people say that when they have a tail biter, their betta can bite almost a whole tail off when they leave them for an hour, or sometimes even less. I'm not an expert, but that's what I think it is. Someone else should be able to come along later and help more. Good luck.
Tobythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #3 
nicole213

I'll definitely try to do less cleans, my problem is that my fish is so dirty that when i don't the water gets very murky and it looks like what it did when he got fin rot the first time. I don't think it's tail biting though, what happens it that the tip of the fins splits and then it just comes off..unless that is tailbiting.
nicole213 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin gone