Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2012, 12:15 AM   #1 
Aluyasha

Talking My Fish Rescue.

So today my husband comes home and tells me that a coworker has a unknown fish and a tank he no longer wants. The coworker said he was going to flush the fish alive if I did not take them. So of course I agreed.
When we got there I found out it was a decently large goldfish (about 6 inches) in a 29 gallon that was only filled up about an inch. The water was so black I could barely see him. There was calcium marks on the water line meaning he had it in 1 inch of water for quite some time.
He also gave me a 10 gallon with long since dead crabs in it. :/
When I got home I went to take the goldfish out so I could begin cleaning and to my surprise underneath the goldfish was a Yoyo Loach (about 4 inches)! I caught them both and cleaned the tank, it took me a good 5 hours to clean that tank. I found inside the tank: 4 mostly disintegrated pennies, 8 dead snails, 2 shards of glass, and a hershy kiss wrapper. On top of them having to live in that they also had not eaten in at least 2 weeks and had no filter or heater, the water temp was about 40 degrees.
I just got back from buying a new hood and a filter for the tank. I am also going to rehome the Yoyo as they need groups and I have noticed he is bullying the goldfish.
Also, I do not know if it is due to his neglect, the goldfish is permanently tilted, he swims, sleeps, and eats that way. Poor guy.
They have not stopped zooming around the tank since I put it up. They look happy. :)
Here are some pictures of them and their newly cleaned up tank:

Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:19 AM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Poor little guy. That loach is adorable, lol and I love the goldfishes cheeks.
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #3 
Aluyasha

Yeah the goldfish does have nice markings. He has a red forehead, white cheeks, an orange body, and white fins. :)
Old 02-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

Poor little thing, I bet his growth is permanently stunted. :( He's a comet, so he should be in at least a 55 gallon with a double filter. How can people do that to fish? :(
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #5 
Aluyasha

The goldfish is also acting kinda weird. He does not seem to be able to find food very well. I tried to help him notice the food so I gave him some frozen bloodworms and he looked very excited but never seemed to manage a bite.
Also he spends hours in the left corner of the tank rubbing his face on the glass and bumping it with his body, almost like he is trying to bully his reflection. He also swims tilted.

Any insight into his behavior?
Would it be a bad idea to get him a friend?
Old 02-02-2012, 11:38 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

Goldies are sociable and do better with friends, but not in that tank. You'd need a 75 gallon to hold two.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:05 AM   #7 
thekoimaiden

While it is great that you took him in, it might be best to try to rehome him to someone with a pond. Comet goldfish get huge (6+ inches). Goldfish also like the be in groups of more than 3. With those size fish you will be looking at a 100+ gal tank. That's why I think finding someone with a goldfish or koi pond would be best.

As to his behaviour, he is probably sick with something. Ammonia poisioning, flukes, parasites, something from those pennies. I really can't tell you, tho. Maybe the goldfish enthusiasts at thegab.org could. I'm not very knowledgeable on diseases and disorders.

For a friend, I would hold off until you know what you are going to do with him. Goldfish are messy and large. 29 gal is the smallest you would want to keep a fancy goldie in (and even then only one of the smallest breeds). It might be a better idea to place a few mirrors around the tank. Kinda like we do with bettas except your goldie won't flare.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:13 AM   #8 
Hanky

yea sooner or later he'll need a bigger tank or pond, but at least you saved his life. goodjob
Hanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #9 
shadow123

I'm glad that you rescued them!
shadow123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #10 
bettalover2033

This HAS to be the #1 horrible event that I have ever heard a fish go through!
When you were explaining the things in the water, I couldn't help, but think that (THIS IS WHAT WE ARE DOING TO THE OCEAN). All of those rappers and things are just get tossed in the ocean and we are creating and have been creating a huge sewer.

I'm happy that this had a nice happy ending..well..Beginning for you anyway.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote