Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #1 
practicaltactics

Exclamation Betta Disease Help Needed! (pics)

I suspect my betta has tailrot, I have been treating him with melafix and Bettafix. He was acting really sluggish and gaping alot but now hes seems ok and swims around and has an appetite. It was his top fin that fell off... He is in a 10 gal tank with a few other fish and I keep his temps in the low 80s and monitor the ammonia level. I also add a bit of aquarium salt to his tank when I change water, heard it helps and keep his light off. Oh and also one of his eyes has turned a bright whiteish color and it worries me a bit. (its in the 1st and 3rd pic down) I need some advice on what everyone thinks I should do to get him back on track to being a happy healthy betta. Thanks :)

Here's what he currently looks like:

practicaltactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #2 
practicaltactics

Oh and I also used Fungus Guard in the tank, its these green dissolve tablets.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #3 
Silverfang

IT looks like he has pop eye. For this you want to keep him in clean water, and use epsom salt. I would suggest getting a small quarantine tank to keep him in during treatment, or if you can get a small container to float in the 10 gallon to maintain warmth.

I suggest you premix the treatment water, in a seperate container, use 1 tsp of plain, undyed, unscented epsom salt (you find this in the pharmacy section of a store) and water conditioner/dechlorinator. IF you have any IAL or oak leaves (dried and pesticide free) you can add this as well.

Make sure you stop the AQ salt, this will only make it worse. You want to do daily 100% water changes in the QT tank.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #4 
practicaltactics

what should I give him for the fin rot? looks like it spread to his body since those gray discolored patches werent on him before :(
Old 02-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #5 
hidenogensou

I wouldn't usually try to offer advice, since I'm pretty much a newbie... But I just went through all of the underlying thread yesterday, and after noticing the gray.... Is it something like this, and has the gray spread quickly?

If it is... You might want to PM one of the other vets on this site pretty fast...
The image is from this thread, and there's more info concerning it: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90086
hidenogensou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:21 PM   #6 
practicaltactics

I did notice that thread earlier, I was kinda wondering about that but alot of his top fin did fall off so I didnt know if that would be it for sure. The gray was sudden but it didnt show up until his top fin fell off. :/