Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2012, 10:06 PM   #1 
NightFury

Strong smelling water in tank

Hi there... I have a problem with my tank water and I hope someone can offer some advice. I have 10ltr - 2.5gallon tank, a Marina brand i25 mechanical and chemical internal filter and a Marina submersible heater that automatically shuts off at 26 degrees celcius (78F). The tank has a gravel substrate, a silk plant and a fake log. I have had the tank for six days now with my male Betta in it. I have done a 50% water change 2 days ago. The water is quite clear and the heater is keeping the water at a constant temp. My question is about the odour coming from the tank. There is a very strong smell coming from it which seems to be taking over the lounge room. The smell could be described as a fishy stale water smell. It is not pleasant when you walk into the room. The filter is working fine although it does have a relatively low output rate as I read that Betta do not like strong currents. The filter is suitable for tanks up to 25ltr (6.6gal). Any suggestions??
BTW I thoroughly washed the gravel substrate for what seemed like hours until it was all totally clean. Everything else in the tank was also rinsed before being put in. Water was treated with a conditioner. The Bettas himself is a bit of a lazy fish...tends to rest a lot, then will swim all the next day and so on.
If anyone can offer some advice I would be greatful...
NightFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:38 AM   #2 
kfish

As it's a 2.5 gallon tank, you should do 1 50% change and 1 100% change per week... so since it's the seventh day you've had it, I suggest doing a 100% change today, rinse the filter and gravel everything again, and see if that helps.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote