Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2012, 11:40 PM   #1 
maggie9059789

Exclamation Need bit of help/adive on diagonosing illness/problem

OK FIRST, I KNOW THIS IS A REALLY LONG MSG,I'M SORRY ABOUT THAT
(i'm sorry if i sound like i'm "pestering" u with questions and my random blabbing)

first details on my betta and water husbandry and past illnesses:
-crowntail betta,male,got him from petsmart on sept 5 2011
-around 1.75 gallon tank
-heated tank to 80 f
-50% water change on tues and thurs (extra 50% is added weekly cuz of regrowth from past fin rot,before it was 50% weds
-100% water change on sat
-he's the only one living in tank
PAST ILLNESS HISTORY
-in november right before the week of rememberence day was his first case of illness. it was ick.
cause:no heater,low temp,it was winter (man i'm an idiot gahhhhh)
-in december,heater leaked pretty big ammounts of metal,metal poisoning,lead to ick
cause:well yah heater
-in december week after he totally was himself again:tiny case of bacterial fin rot(the tiny black cumps "hanging" off edge of fins and fins overtime u notice are shorter)
cause:ick,the parasite's lil bites were infected by water
AND TO NOW HE'S STILL EXPERIENCING FIN REGROWTH BUT RECENTLY THE LOWER FINS,2 OF THE RAYS HAVE A STUBBORN BIT OF FIN ROT BACTERIA,he's already been trough his 10 day aquarium salt treament and clean water should've done the trick but it's only 4 stubborn rays of rins that have recently came back ugh

and as i said before,before the fin rot problem it was 100% changes every sat,50% every weds,which is needed for a 1.5-1.75 gallon unfitered tank.and now it's 2 50% changes a week along with 100% on sats

Sooooo just over a week ago my brother had "axidentally" turned off my lil guy's heater for a couple of hours (dropped 4 degrees i found him huddling in a corner and freaked out and noticed the thermometer) and i've been SUPER vary and keeping an eye on him because well i got super paronoid of a problem happening around a week. GAHHH YOU DO I HAFTA BE RIGHT.

anyways,so his symptoms are similiar to an external parasite problem(who am i kidding JUST LIKE).
- lethergy (totally clamped fins stays in corner but at this point he still "occationally" slightly swims around.)oh and when he does swim around if he goes to the bottom he just floats right back up after staying still on the very bottom. (started yesterday once and today i've been staring at himfor an hour and he's done it 3 times within that hour at least)and he ocationally well at this point a couple of times,starts flashing.(hitting himself ect. then floats back up to the top,like he does his lil spasm attack ends near the bottom stays VERY still and floats right back up and "bounces" a tiny bit when he hits the surface part of water
(and also wanted to add he lost alot of of his aggressiveness too,the reason why he stood outto me was his constant flaring t every betta,and even tiny glance at his reflection in a mirror makes him go automatic "poof" threatening display for like 3 whole minutes just from a 3 second glance at reflection,and especially when i shine a random bright flashlight at him to ocationally check for velvet he also goes "POOF" threat display,but just awhile ago he didn't care there was a super bright light shining on him,he knew it was there but didnt bother to do anything about with his lack of energy...poor fellow)
well yah,that's about it,lethergy,flashing,oh and he does seem to be constipated,when he was really healthy he pooped 4 times a day......(lool yes i counted cuz over a month ago he was bloated/constipated and had ick)

he's also still getting better,healing,fin re-growing from a tiny case of bacterial fin rot(black tiny clumps at end of fin rays,fins only slowely getting shorter) in december.his fins have regrown alot. maybe around half a cm (white to see throught ish white color) BUT THE FINS ARE BENT.like normally a crowntail's fnis are logn and straight and all "rays like" but here it's like a lil thicker part of the part where fin rot bacteria was and the regrowth of the fins is not continuing downward making the ray "straight" like making a lil 90 degree or greater angle.but last week i've noticed that "some" of those bent rays have gotten "straighter as they got longer but that's only a few ray's case.
DOES WATER CONDITIONS HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE "BENT" APPEARENCE ON OLD FIN RAYS WITH NEW RE GROWTH RAYS?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ok so with what i know,here's what i'm gonna do for now until i get a reply or even more specific syptoms from my lil guy, (i can toally tell he's trying to stay strong,he doesn't have enough energy from his lethergy to actually "play" with me like usually daily but his eyes are following me,he flapps his pectorals and "tries" to wiggle his tail. ughhh it really pains me to see him like this =( everytime my lil guy's gotten sick is because of my stupidity..ahhh ifeel so ashamed of myself gahhhh this time it's me plugging his heater into a diff outlet,the one my bro messes around with gahhhhh)

1)50% WATER CHANGE RIGHT NOW
2)WASH,SUPER WELL WITH HOT WATERA LIL MUG FOR HIM TO HAVE A LIL CAVE,HIS LAST "BIG" PLANT HAD THE BOTTOM WIRE PART RUSTING,BUT I CAUGHT IT PRETTY SOON
3)WATER TESTED ON SAT....... ugh ooohhh wait i'll see if i can beg this mean (Literally haha) lil pet store to test my water,but they're basicly torturing their animals with super bad husbandry but i guess it's better than nuthin for now...... (they keep bettas in tiny cups 30% filled with dirty water and THAT'S IT,and that's only bettas)
4)IF I FULLLY RULE OUT WATER QUALITY AS AN ISSUE START THE EXTERNAL CONSERVATIVE AQUARIUM SALT TREATMENT(THE INVISIBLE KIND OF PARASITE,NOT ICK/VELVET IS WHAT I BELIEVE HE HAS) (since there's nuthin else it could be right?since there's also flashing/darting as a syptom,he's acting VERY MUCH THE SAME as the other 2 times he had ick,and i've checked for velvet,anothe external parasite and nope)WHICH IS JUST LIKE ICK TREATMENT RIGHT? if i remember correctly:
-2TSP/G
-CONSTANT 81F
-100% WATER CHANGE DAILY WITH SCRUBBING THE WHOLE DANG INFESTED TANK DOWN
is that correct?
maggie9059789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #2 
Geomancer

Sudden temperature swings certainly will stress fish, and when stressed their immune system is compromised. The signs are the same as ich/velvet but if you don't see any spots at all it certainly isn't ich. Treatment is the same for both though.

I would use 86 degrees though, the higher the better and a Betta will do fine at 86 for a week. With parasites the water changes recommendations I personally think are pointless. You can't clean every single one out, and they multiply by the thousands a day ... to me it just adds more stress to the fish. Being 'cupped' and the inevitable temperature shift (unless you make your tap water exactly identical to what he's at) just adds more stress. With such a small aquarium though, drastic water changes are unavoidable since it is near impossible to maintain a cycle in such a small tank.

You may also consider using a medication specifically for parasites if you are fairly certain that is the cause, something like Coppersafe as an example. Dosing such a small volume of water can be problematic though. Medications will work much faster than using salt if it is indeed a parasite.

He would certainly be happier in a larger tank, say 5g at a minimum. I'm really against the sub 5g size because it comes with such high problems and risks, not to mention is more work to maintain than a larger aquarium. The bigger an aquarium, the more forgiving to mistakes. Leave a 10g unheated for 4 hours and you won't see much of a change unless you keep the tank in a drafty area or near a window (both bad ideas no mater the size).
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
external parasites