Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2012, 10:46 PM   #1 
Bettabuddy4

Exclamation Little (Maybe big idk) Issue!

So, I'm going on a 4 day vacation soon, and I just found out, I'm trying to find someone to take my fish Athena, but I'm not sure if anyone will. My mom's also looking for one of those betta feeders. But, if she can't find one and there's no one to take Athena, will she be okay going for 4 days without food, please note I don't want this, I'm just just going worst case scenario. Please help I don't want to kill my fish.
Bettabuddy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:38 PM   #2 
sasszsara

We used these when we went on vacation this winter and they worked well.
http://www.petco.com/product/112622/...Fish-Food.aspx
sasszsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:31 AM   #3 
fleetfish

You won't kill her if you're leaving for only four days. Bettas can survive without food for almost a month! Recently I had to leave for a weekend and my bettas were perky and happy when I got home. What you need to do about a day before you leave is change Athena's water and feed her like you normally do. It's a plus if you have frozen bloodworms or brineshrimp because they'll give her an extra boost of energy, but you don't have to have them, but if you do, you can feed her a few and she'll be fine. Athena should be okay since bettas are such tough little fishies. :)
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:53 AM   #4 
earthworm88

My personal take on this is if you have a smallish tank, it is best to put your betta on a "detox" program (won't make you feel bad if you think of it that way ) while you are away for 4 days. I find that finding a sitter (especially one who has no experience taking care of fish) would usually end up feeding more than required, lots of leftovers, and being fed also means waste products ended up in the tank. I think that would give your betta more problem with chemicals spikes in the water than being on detox for a few days. Unless the sitter is willing to change the water for me or I have a huge tank to withstand the above, then I would just do what fleetfish does

JM2C

Cheers!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #5 
HermitGuy101

Try using a ZooMed Bettamatic. They work so well that I own two!
HermitGuy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:32 AM   #6 
Myates

For 4 days it's safer and healthier to not use an automatic feeder- as a lot of times they don't work properly and end up fouling the tank, which water quality is more important than feeding for the short while you will be gone.
He won't starve, in fact, increases the chance he will be fine if you don't feed him for the short time, rather then risking (as many many many have done) the feeder dropping in all the food at once and killing the fish.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #7 
Bettabuddy4

Thanks! I feel so much better now, but my mom just created a bigger problem. She got me a new bowl for my betta fish. It's half the size, its 1.8 litres, and her last was at least 1.5 quarts (sorry for the different measurments but I stink at converting). My betta is now completly stressed out, won't eat and is zooming around the tank. My mom's making me feel guilty by saying it was a Valentines Day present, and whenever I try to argue with her about it, she keeps getting mad at me, accusing me, and telling me a bunch of poop my last betta lived for 2 years with less than once a month water changes, it will help keep her water warmer, I wanted a light (I wanted a heater), and I won't be able to exchange it. Please help me, I'm really frustrated.
Bettabuddy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:15 PM   #8 
kfryman

What do you mean by her last?

Couldn't you just put him back in the old tank or bowl?
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:44 AM   #9 
kfish

Motherly guilt trips are the best, aren't they?

With regard to the feeding issue, in a bowl that small, you're definitely better off having the fish go completely without food while you're gone so there's less ... stuff to foul up the tank.

I've left a fish in a 0.5 gallon for 4 days without food (and water changes) and he was fine... so were the water parameters.

BUT while you're there and feeding your betta, definitely change the water at least every other day. I did 50% one day, 100% the next day- every day changes. Then I got my 5 gallon after about a month of that. :) See if you can convince your mom that bettas can't live in a tiny container. Maybe she'll let you exchange the new bowl for this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...-Pets/14660258
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #10 
mathkid

Aw. Maybe you can tell her you really appreciate the present and it'll be useful as a QT / interim during water changes, but point her at a betta care fact sheet. Some fish, like your last one, are *super* hardy and will survive in a 1/2 gal for 2 years without water changes, but some won't.... and she wouldn't want to take chances with your little buddy, would she?
mathkid is offline   Reply With Quote