Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #1 
karstenchu

Does my crown tail betta have fin rot?!

Hello everyone, my name is Cassie (using my fiances account) I got a new betta about a week ago. He is a beautiful crown tail betta and is super feisty. He is living in a 3.5 gallon tank by himself and seems very happy with his new home. I just had a question about his tail. It looks like the tips of his fins are a different colour than the rest of him. I was thinking maybe he has a touch of fin rot from being in a teeny tiny cup at the pet store for so long. I have the correct dosage of water conditioners and aquarium salt in with him, and am doing partial water changes. He also eats all his food so there isn't any sinking to the bottom. I put the filter in his tank on for about an hour a day, he likes swimming into the water stream for some reason.. Is there anything else I should be doing? Having a nice clean tank should be good for him right? Here is a picture of the little guy. We are still deciding on a name for the little guy, possibly mango or pi. here is a picture of him so you can see what I am talking about. He also looks pretty young, he is teeny tiny. So maybe his fins are still growning?!

Thanks for your help!
Cassie
karstenchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:08 PM   #2 
Bettabuddy4

This is just from my very unexperianced opinion, but I've seen betta's with a black fin lining before so I'm not sure, but he does seem to have some u shaped marks out of his taio, so he may be a tail biter. However, I am not an expert.
Bettabuddy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:18 PM   #3 
styggian

It's hard to make out but it looks like the coloring may be natural. I can't see anything that looks like the rays are being eaten away. Looks like he may have had a nibble on his tail, though.
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:18 PM   #4 
GunsABlazin

Could you possibly get a brighter photo?
Also, he looks more like a Combtail, and they have unusual dips in the tail sometimes.
And yes, some fish to just have black lacing on the edges.
GunsABlazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:29 PM   #5 
earthworm88

I will have to agree with bettabuddy that the linings can be of a slightly darken color. I can't quite see clearly in the photo, but it seems the tip of each ray is darken and it's uniform across all ray tips. There are two U shaped mark on his tail like bettabuddy mentioned, these could be bite marks or the tissues growing in that area may be slower than the rest. If you don't see any black edgings on those tissues, then I think clean water is all he needs. Since you have already started him on AQS, I would just finish the treatment course of 10 days.

One question though, what type of food and how much are you feeding your CT?

Cheers!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:42 PM   #6 
karstenchu

He has pellets, I feed him 3 per day and a couple of blood worms. I have tried to get some better pictures, he is a little camera shy. It is pretty cute actually he backs up away from me when I get the camera. I will try again tomorrow to get another picture. I have seen other bettas with the same sort of colourng, but really not sure. The last betta I had contracted a horrible case of fin rot while I was away and ended up dying at the vet. (yes we brought the fish to the vet) so I am super paranoid.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #7 
karstenchu

Also I had a question about heating. I want to get a heater for my tank but it is acrylic and 3.5 gallons. I have been looking at reviews of a few and am really unsure what to get. Does anyone have any experience with acrylic tanks and heating them?
Old 02-15-2012, 07:44 AM   #8 
Myates

Looks like his normal coloring- he may actually be a combtail rather then a crowntail, his rays are very short..

Acrylic tanks are fine to heat- I would look for a 25-50 watt adjustable heater for that size of a tank.

Also, remove the salt from his water- adding in AQ salt and only doing partial changes is not ideal- not ideal to add in salt on a regular basis for health reasons.
I would do 50% water changes over the next few days and only adding in water conditioner, to remove the salt without crashing your system.
AQ salt is good for them, better then medication- but it needs to be regulated and administered in a certain way, and for a certain amount of time.. one of those things where it's good, but yet not good if not used for a specific treatment.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote