Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-14-2012, 12:02 AM   #1 
bettalover2033

What Do You Think?

Well I currently got three new males. Two dragons and one non dragon Cello butterfly.

I am planning to breed one of them to Korra:

This one is a HMPK Mustard Gas full masked dragon or at least 95% masked:

Also this particular HMPK MG is VERY interesting because of the color. He seems to be turning two different colors. I thought I was crazy and thought it was the lighting but it's not. He turns from Black to a really nice bright purple color. It was a little hard to get on camera, but I got it:

And then for my second favorite is a beautiful Dalmatian PK full Mask Dragon (He seems to have a red eye!):

And where you can see the entire full mask on him:

And lastly the White Marble (Cello):

He has such a weird face. He also has "lipstick" and it's RED haha!:

Also he is a HM. He just wouldn't flare when I took the pictures but flared his butt of at the LPS. I think he is a Cello butterfly for right now. He might change and get the rest of the Cello sections colored in with the blue, but if not then It doesnt matter. He also looks to be young with a pretty big body.

(Before you suggest anything)
Okay so now you see them. MY thoughts on this breeding project isn't REALLY too much on the colors (Just yet). I am focusing on the dragon, but the color would be interesting.

I would like to breed Korra to the Dalmatian dragon PK male because he has a 100% full mask. Korra originally had approx. 70% dragon masking. The fry's scales would be very full. (The color would be different and I have NO idea or assumptions of what the color variations would be).

I would like to breed Korra to the color changing HMPK Mustard Gas Dragon male because he is DARK bodied like her and has dark coloring as well. His dragon scales are also dark and hers are also fairly dark. The color that these two would bring to the table will also be VERY interesting and I have no clue of the color variations for these two either. (only that some fry will have dark bodies).

And lastly the Opaque HM Marble non-dragon male. I would like to breed him to Korra because he is simply a HM. (I would rather the one of the other dragons though). He would most likely be a back up, but I want you opinions on him as well. Again I dont know the color variations they will have because Korra is dark and he is light. There will definitely be marbles on both sides because of them both being marbles.

I think that is it.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:27 AM   #2 
Amphibianite

okay I personally like the MG or the drag pk.
The HM the blue would play great with her white, black, and silver. Should come out pretty darn stunning. This is my personal top pick.

The dragon pk would work pretty good too. The white would lighten up her colors and should provide a silver and white dragon scale. Could be a black marble with red.purple, and white fins
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:36 AM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

1. Yellow drgn: You will get a lot of color variations; copper like Korra, cambodian like, white, yellow, gold, black copper, .... what else?.... all of which should be drgn scaled except for the black copper (copper body with blackish fins). Oh, you might even get greens and MG. (most should be multi colored)

2. Blue drgn/MG: Green, blue, copper, black copper at least (Multi and a few solid). He has a dippy head and will pas that on to fry (don't know percentage probability)..... all should be drgn (like #1)

3. White marble: not sure what his true color is (base color) so I'm not sure what you'll get. Since he's not a drgn, thus fry will probably be non drgn or half drgn. But his finnage should improve general form which you need to work on till F3-4.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:58 AM   #4 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
1. Yellow drgn: You will get a lot of color variations; copper like Korra, cambodian like, white, yellow, gold, black copper, .... what else?.... all of which should be drgn scaled except for the black copper (copper body with blackish fins). Oh, you might even get greens and MG. (most should be multi colored)

2. Blue drgn/MG: Green, blue, copper, black copper at least (Multi and a few solid). He has a dippy head and will pas that on to fry (don't know percentage probability)..... all should be drgn (like #1)

3. White marble: not sure what his true color is (base color) so I'm not sure what you'll get. Since he's not a drgn, thus fry will probably be non drgn or half drgn. But his finnage should improve general form which you need to work on till F3-4.
@indjo: Thank you. I would want to bring out the shorter fins with one of the dragons and keep the dragon scaling. I would like a nice surprise with colors as well. The MG with the Dippy Head does have potential, but I dont really want that to be passed on. From looking at the size of the dip, would you say that there would be a very large amount of fry with the same deformity? I think if I decided to breed him, I would try to breed this out with one of the males that dont have a dippy head back to Korra. IYO would this work out?

I dont think I want to breed the HM yet because he seems to be developing his fins and color still so (as you said) his base color isnt set it yet and its harder to get the feel of what colors would be present.

As for the Full mask dragon PK, he is VERY active and I woke up to a bubblenest this morning (2/13/12). He has been displaying for Korra more than the rest have. Also his fins are very even and his overall shape is fantastic. I see no problems with him.

The HM seems to have a larger unattractive anal fin that really just throws things off for him. His color is nice for now, but he is going to be crossed off until I have no real success.

Which of them would YOU breed? (Without the HM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphibianite View Post
okay I personally like the MG or the drag pk.
The HM the blue would play great with her white, black, and silver. Should come out pretty darn stunning. This is my personal top pick.

The dragon pk would work pretty good too. The white would lighten up her colors and should provide a silver and white dragon scale. Could be a black marble with red.purple, and white fins
I really like the Full mask dragon Pk because of reasons I explained to Indjo...but the MG male would have interesting colored fry.

So far the best candidate seems to be the Yellow Dragon because of the overall shape and his 100% dragon scaling.

Last edited by bettalover2033; 02-14-2012 at 01:07 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:39 AM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
@indjo: Thank you. I would want to bring out the shorter fins with one of the dragons and keep the dragon scaling. I would like a nice surprise with colors as well. The MG with the Dippy Head does have potential, but I dont really want that to be passed on. From looking at the size of the dip, would you say that there would be a very large amount of fry with the same deformity? I think if I decided to breed him, I would try to breed this out with one of the males that dont have a dippy head back to Korra. IYO would this work out?

Which of them would YOU breed? (Without the HM)
As numbered above, my first choice would be the yellow, second the MG, and last the HM.

Spoon head genes IMO isn't "how bad" thus will pass on certain percentage. It depends on how strong the genes are compared to their partner's. Sometimes non spoon head pairs can produce severe spoon head fry.... implying that both of the pair carry the genes.

I don't understand your comment (the one I bolded). I'm guessing you meant one of the male fry - breed back to Korra. Yes that should work.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:53 AM   #6 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
As numbered above, my first choice would be the yellow, second the MG, and last the HM.

Spoon head genes IMO isn't "how bad" thus will pass on certain percentage. It depends on how strong the genes are compared to their partner's. Sometimes non spoon head pairs can produce severe spoon head fry.... implying that both of the pair carry the genes.

I don't understand your comment (the one I bolded). I'm guessing you meant one of the male fry - breed back to Korra. Yes that should work.
I agree. I was thinking of breeding the yellow dragon to Korra, but others (my family) said they liked the MG.

I also agree with the second statement. I also don't think that the spoon head gene isn't so bad. In severe cases I think it looks horrible. I didn't notice the dipped head until you pointed that out. It could be that I was focused more on the color and dragon scaling, but it is important to see these things as well.

LOL. Yes I meant that if I did decide to breed the male with a dipped/spoon head, I would breed one of the males of that spawn (that doesn't have a spoon head) to Korra to get less of the spoon head deformity in the fry. Sorry I wasn't clear.