Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2007, 07:59 AM   #1 
bianca.the_tramp

first time betta mummy.

ok so my friend bought me a betta for my 18th birthday last week. she gave me all the stuff i need to look after him and even printed out sheets so i know what he likes to eat and when i need to feed him. i called him Flash cos he swims fast. =]

ok so my problem occurs now when its time to clean him. when i was little i had goldfish and they all died when we cleaned their tanks. this is what i have to do now for my betta. he is so pretty and i dont want to kill him.

i am scared that i will change his water incorrectly and kill my present.
can someone please help me with BASIC (lol) step by step instructions on how to clean my tank and save my fishy so he doesnt die.

=]
bianca.the_tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:07 AM   #2 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Re: first time betta mummy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bianca.the_tramp
ok so my friend bought me a betta for my 18th birthday last week. she gave me all the stuff i need to look after him and even printed out sheets so i know what he likes to eat and when i need to feed him. i called him Flash cos he swims fast. =]

ok so my problem occurs now when its time to clean him. when i was little i had goldfish and they all died when we cleaned their tanks. this is what i have to do now for my betta. he is so pretty and i dont want to kill him.

i am scared that i will change his water incorrectly and kill my present.
can someone please help me with BASIC (lol) step by step instructions on how to clean my tank and save my fishy so he doesnt die.

=]
Welcome to Fishforum.com, Bianca.

What size is the tank? A 5 gallons would be the minimum for a betta. Also, how much and how many times do you feed him? I would recommend feeding him only once a day and fast him one day per week. This will minimize the deterioration of water quality and bioload. Does the tank have heater and filter? Both are necessary for the well-being for the betta.:) Keep the temperature at 80 degrees Celsius. A sponge filter is sufficient.

As for the water change, replace the water by 20-30% twice a week. Buy API liquid test kit as well so you can monitor your ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH. Ammonia and nitrites are deadly. Nitrates when it exceeds 40 ppm is deadly as well and might stunt the betta's growth assuming he has not reach full grown size yet.

All information included are necessary to include so you won't loss your fish. Hope to see pics as well of your pet.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:29 PM   #3 
rustyness

he means 80 farenheit. i think 80 C may just kill the betta
rustyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:15 PM   #4 
jeaninel

You'll need a gravel vacuum to be able to syphon out the water from your tank. These should be available at your LFS (local fish store).

Put the large end of the gravel vac in the tank and the other end into a bucket. Syphon out the water into the bucket. When you have syphoned out about 25% of the water pull the tube out of the tank.

Fill a clean bucket (no soap or chemical residues!) with tap water that is close to the tank's water temp. I just use my hand to estimate the temp. or you could toss a floating thermometer into the bucket for a few minutes. Make sure you add a water conditioner such as Tetra Aquasafe before you pour the bucket of fresh water into the tank. This will neutralize any chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals in your tap water. Slowly pour the bucket of fresh conditioned water into your tank.

As Lupin said, make sure you check your water with a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates especially if this is a newly setup tank. Ideally you want 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and nitrates no more than 40 with 20ppm or less being better.

Good luck and enjoy your Betta!
jeaninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:50 PM   #5 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyness
he means 80 farenheit. i think 80 C may just kill the betta
My bad!! Dang fingers and brain keep affecting what I post.

Thanks, Rusty.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote