Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #1 
bitsoglass

Exclamation please help.. scared for my fish

I originally thought that he might have velvet, because he looked a little golden in sunlight, but after shining a flashlight on him, he looks nothing like the pictures I have seen on the internet. He also doesn't have white spots like ick or fuzzy patches like columnaris. He started acting a little weird yesterday and today I noticed that his fins are clamped a bit and all he does is lay on the bottom of the tank sort of on his side and it looks like he is hyperventilating. He shares a 10 gallon divided tank with another male betta and his tankmate has started hiding behind the ornaments in his tank. He hardly comes out of his hiding spot, so I can't really tell if he is clamping or not, but he isn't breathing nearly as hard as the one I am really worried about. The tank has a heater that keeps it at about 78 degrees and a whisper 10i filter that I have baffled. I have a live pH and NH3 meter and the pH is about 7.2 and the NH3 is in the safe zone. I have started him on tetra lifeguard all in one treatment, but I'm not sure if this is the right course of action, or even what is wrong with him. I am just worried, because he is not acting like himself and neither is his tankmate.
bitsoglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #2 
Geomancer

That really sounds like Ammonia or Nitrite poisoning.

How old is that disc? They don't last all that long (few months) and personally I wouldn't trust them. A liquid test kit is far superior and will give you an actual number you can do something about.

A reading of anything over 0 ppm for both Ammonia and Nitrite is bad, there is no safe amount of either of these. Nitrates should be kept low, under 20 ppm if you can manage, under 40 ppm as an absolute maximum.

I would do a 50% water change, and get an actual test kit. The API Master Test kit is one of the best, it contains all the tests you'll likely need. You can buy strips if you must... just realize they are not as accurate and it gets worse over time once you open the package as they'll start to absorb water from the air.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #3 
bitsoglass

The disk is brand new. The tank has only been set up for 4 days. I will go ahead with the water change and get a test kit when I can get out to the pet store. The reading for the safe zone is 0. It only goes up to caution at 0.2, though I can't say with 100% certainty what the units are.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #4 
Silverfang

Forgive the basic question, but is it possible you forgot water dechlorinator? I believe fish would act like that if dechlor was forgotten.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #5 
bitsoglass

No, I put novaqua+ and amquel in the tank and when he was in a bowl before that he always had topfin betta water conditioner in it.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #6 
bitsoglass

If it is ammonia or nitrite poisoning, how shod I go about treating him?
Old 02-15-2012, 06:15 AM   #7 
Geomancer

There is nothing you can do, except remove/lessen the problem. With this being a brand new tank it is even more likely to be ammonia poisoning.

Take a sample of your tank water to a pet store, most will test your water for free.

Daily water changes are required to keep ammonia and nitrite levels as low as possible during a cycle. There are water conditioners out there that will detoxify ammonia and nitrite, but they only work temporarily (a day or two) and are meant more for people who have ammonia and/or nitrite coming right out of the tap water.

Fish produce ammonia as waste, bacteria will colonate the tank that converts ammonia to nitrite which is even more toxic to fish. A different bacteria will convert that nitrite into nitrate which is the least toxic of the three. Nothing will remove nitrate except live plants, or partial water changes (however partial water changes are still required even with live plants).

This process is called a 'cycle' since if you test daily you will see a spike of ammonia, then a spike of nitrite while ammonia goes down to 0, then nitrates will rise while nitrite goes down to 0.

This cycle takes a minimum of 2 weeks if you seed from an established aquarium, to up to 8 weeks to complete, 4-5 weeks is an average.

Here is a sticky post that explains all about it, and methods that could have been used prior to owning fish. http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...m-cycle-38617/
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:02 AM   #8 
Kshitijakelkar

hello ,
I think my betta is suffering from ammonia poisoning too ..... still i always make sure to remove the waste from the pot everyday ..... what should be the daily water change ?
also since he is spending lot of time at the bottom , the water looks cloudy and the walls become a bit slimy .... what shall do ?
Kshitijakelkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:35 AM   #9 
Leeniex

Quote:
Originally Posted by K****ijakelkar View Post
hello ,
I think my betta is suffering from ammonia poisoning too ..... still i always make sure to remove the waste from the pot everyday ..... what should be the daily water change ?
also since he is spending lot of time at the bottom , the water looks cloudy and the walls become a bit slimy .... what shall do ?
Sounds like his tank needs to be cleaned completely! How big is the tank? Do you have a heater? They need clean water.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:58 AM   #10 
Kshitijakelkar

I changed his water and cleaned his tank just three days. Usually he gets scared during tank cleaning as I remove him. But recovers within 20 minutes and starts happily swimming about enjoying new water. This time however he has not recovered. I have a big pot with a heater.

Actually, he underwent fasting cuz of his constipation. I learnt a lesson that despite his tummy going white (as when he over-eats) it can also go white with weakness. I feel so guilty for starving him for no reason. He has resumed food. His color comes back after he eats but then again he resumes his whiteness.
His activity has dropped down and his body shape has bent into 'S' but he still loves sending bubbles and making a string of them and always hopeful for food !
Kshitijakelkar is offline   Reply With Quote