Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets and flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? Ususally one of the above once a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100% and 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner, sometimes Stress Zyme

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has had Septecimea that I treated and he recovered fine, but now he's got an ugly growth at the top of his dorsal that has grown and as of this morning has a brownish-reddish tint to it. JUST NOW: Upon closer expection closer to the light, I notice that a lost of his bottom half and the rim of his gills is covered in gold spots. Columnaris? Velvet? Ee gads help!
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Clamped fins, stress lines, lethargic
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 5 Days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I tried a Macaryn 2 treatment again, but it didn't help.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Septecimeia and fin rot.
How old is your fish (approximately)?I've had him since April of last year

Pics below.
1. He's in his cup now I'm going to do a full water change. Clamped fins obvious, and his fins just look wrinkly and ugly.
2. This is how the light looks behind my beatiful BLUE crowntail. From this picture I also see his is really bloated.
3. An above view. You can kind of see how far the white growth is sticking out from his dorsal
4. A pretty good picture of the growth.

Thank you so much!
Attached Images

Pucky21811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #2 
Pucky21811

After I cleaned his tank yesterday and even into this morning he looks better. He's not sitting at the bottom so much his fins aren't as clamped. The white growth is somewhat gone and I'm not sure if what I'm seeing on him is a smaller version of the growth or it fell off/went away and left a hole in his dorsal-the same place he has had a hole before, for those of you that remember. I think I am good from this one, but it was very scary.
~Hockey Puck: forever the sickest fish~
Old 02-25-2012, 11:42 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm glad he's doing better.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #4 
callistra

Increase water changes. Your 1 gallon needs 100% change every 3 days, ideally with a 50% in between.

You can treat with some aquarium salt very safely.. 1 tsp per gallon if you don't want to do meds. I would be looking for something like Kanaplex, or Furan-2 just in case he goes downhill again.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #5 
Myates

I disagree... your water change schedule is spot on. The water can be too clean, which can cause illnesses to happen more frequently with your fish because of a too sterile environment.

As for your guy, it looks as if he may possibly have Lymphocytosis..

The virus that causes Lymphocystis infects fish fin and skin cells and causes them to enlarge significantly. At the outset of the infection, the infected cells may appear as white pinpricks- very similar to ich and other such diseases, thus making proper diagnosis difficult. However, as time goes on, these cells may enlarge and/or clump together to form nodules, lesions or lumps that can be larger than two millimeters in diameter. At the end part of this stage- which usually occurs in about the fourth week of infection- the engorged cells burst and the material inside them is released into the aquarium water. Sometimes when that happens it can cause the fish to become sick.. that is also when other fish and tank items that is shared from tank to tank can become infected as well.

For now, keep his water clean with water changes of 2 50% and 1 100% per week while he is healing. There is no medication to treat and deal with this, just clean water and time. Normally this isn't dangerous to fish.. If he does become better and the cyst disappears then you can return to your correct water change routine of 1 50% and 1 100% per week with water conditioner.

I can't say it is positively 100% lymph, as the pictures are hard to see.. but the description and the fact it is on his fin is a good indicator that it is lymp.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #6 
Pucky21811

Thank you so much; I will notice that it does come to a head towards the end of the week, closer to the 100% change, and once I do the change, within two days it seems to get a lot better, and his energy level is greatly improved too. The water changes seem to be the thing that keeps him happy right now and feeling good, so I will keep that up. Thank you!