Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #1 
jake1515

Moving From House to House

Hi guys:

Just registered here. I got my first ever (betta) fish yesterday. I live both at my mom's and dad's house. I switch every two weeks. What should I do about moving him? I do not want to freak him out every two weeks, but I would like to have him at both locations.

Thanks,
Jake
jake1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #2 
scootshoot

It's too much stress to move a fish from one locale to the other every 2 weeks. You are better off keeping him parked at one cental locale and train the occupant of that house when you are gone to toss them a pellet or two every day.

To ensure he don't get overfed, toss a couple pellets inside small containers or those pill boxes with multiple holders labelled individually for every day of the week and tell them to toss those in on the matching days.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #3 
thekoimaiden

Moving him once every two weeks would be too stressful. That's not an option. Stress will greatly shorten his lifespan.

The biggest problem with asking one parent to feed the betta when you are gone is water changes. At the bare minimum any typical fish tank needs to have a water change at least once a week. If the tank is smaller than 5 gallons it will need to be changed more often than once a week. What size tank do you have?
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #4 
jake1515

Holy moly thank you for responding to my post. I will certainly keep him at one location and the pill idea is superb. My tank is 1.6g. I got my fish Zayden for Valentines Day. . I did not know before this lovely site about getting a bigger tank.

Also, the food I have for my buddy sinks to the bottom sometimes before he sees them and goes in between the rocks. What is the best way to feed him?
jake1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #5 
AcrimoniousArbiter

I've found a good way to get them to eat the pellets that sink faster is to get their attention by hovering your finger above the water, and then put the pellet in front of them. Hover your finger over the pellet while it is (briefly) floating, and most of the time it's eaten before it sinks. That is, unless your fish decides he wants to be stubborn today (Cobalt decided to frantically swim around 2 pellets today, making them both sink ).
AcrimoniousArbiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:30 PM   #6 
JKfish

:) +1 for AcrimoniousArbiter

Water change wise, you'd need to do a 50% water change and a 100% water change a week, so you might need to leave a little note by the food stating which days you need the water changed and maybe even leave instructions.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:53 AM   #7 
scootshoot

Personally I don't trust anyone doing water changes in any of my tanks. However if it absolutely must be handed off, I'd make them perform and demo a water change in front of my eyes and have them repeat it a few times til I felt comfortable
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
move