Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #1 
Connerstunt

Exclamation Fin rot help

i think my betta has fin rot. his fins look raggy and at the base of his fins it looks like it start to turn red (he is a blue betta) his fins looked raggy when i got him but there was no red at the base and i just seen it today. so i think its fin rot

how would go on treating this?

and does fin rot cause a fish him not to eat? he has barely ate anything since i got him (jan 27th)
Connerstunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:34 AM   #2 
Myates

At the base by his body, or the edges of his fins? Fin rot develops at the edges and is either black and crusty, or red/black and crusty- flaking off.

There a chance you can post a picture so we can make sure before we put him through the stresses of salt treatment?

No, fin rot normally doesn't cause them to act any different.. as it doesn't tend to affect them until all the fins have been eaten away and the bacteria has started on the body.
He is still relatively new, and a lot of new bettas can take weeks before they eat healthy after bringing them home. Just continue to offer food twice daily and removing any uneaten right after, he'll come around.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #3 
Daisykd

I got my first betta around the same time you did Conner. He really just started eating well and knows now when I put my fingers in his tank that it means food. I was worried too about his not eating but just keep trying.
Daisykd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #4 
Connerstunt

heres a picture. kinda hard to get a good pic my phone doesn't have a flash.

his fins dont look red/black or crusty. just raggy to me.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #5 
Myates

At the base, the colors can and often are, different.. blues tend to have red/green in their color scheme.

Raggedy fins can mean he was a fin biter, rough decorations or too strong of a current. If his fins were like that when you purchased him, then I would give him some time to grow them out.. a good variety of a protein base diet, along with proper water changes will help them grow out.

I don't see any black edges, or blood red on the tips- so for now just keep up on the water changes to keep the rot at bay and he should be fine. It's not uncommon for most bettas to have raggedy fins- so just keep an eye on it to see whether he is a fin biter or if you have some rough decorations that would be tearing it up if he drags it.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:23 PM   #6 
Connerstunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
At the base, the colors can and often are, different.. blues tend to have red/green in their color scheme.

Raggedy fins can mean he was a fin biter, rough decorations or too strong of a current. If his fins were like that when you purchased him, then I would give him some time to grow them out.. a good variety of a protein base diet, along with proper water changes will help them grow out.

I don't see any black edges, or blood red on the tips- so for now just keep up on the water changes to keep the rot at bay and he should be fine. It's not uncommon for most bettas to have raggedy fins- so just keep an eye on it to see whether he is a fin biter or if you have some rough decorations that would be tearing it up if he drags it.
ok thanks im glad to hear that hes fine..

i have been doing water changes about 30-40% i just did one today actually.. i have a internel filter but the way i have the tank set up theres no current. and i also noticed he is eating. he waits to the pellets sink to the bottom before eating them.