Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #11 
banana3685

You could try shrimp, but I bought 3 algae shrimp for living with my betta in his 10g. They disappeared. I found an exoskeleton floating around while doing a water change. The mystery was solved as to why he looked so fat. :3 You could try ghost shrimp because they're so inexpensive.
banana3685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:57 AM   #12 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I have a nerite snail and they are so cute! :O I love to see their little tongues licking the glass. It is ADORABLE!
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #13 
registereduser

I have one male betta and one peppered cory in my 5 gallon. I know this is not ideal, but the catfish seems so content! He and the betta are best friends. They eat together, I never see any aggression and the cory never hides. I often see them swim side by side!

I vacuum the tank a little every weekend and do a 1/3 water change and everything is fine, fish, water, everything.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #14 
Bombalurina

Registered, just remember that fish can't show happiness the way that humans do. Your little cat may be healthy, but even though you can't see it, without other cories he is stressed. This makes him more susceptible to disease. You may adore him, but unless you can upgrade to a ten gallon and get him at least 3 other peppered cats, I would suggest rehoming him. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #15 
hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
I have one male betta and one peppered cory in my 5 gallon. I know this is not ideal, but the catfish seems so content! He and the betta are best friends. They eat together, I never see any aggression and the cory never hides. I often see them swim side by side!

I vacuum the tank a little every weekend and do a 1/3 water change and everything is fine, fish, water, everything.
This is not normal behavior in a cory. If kept with a proper size school the cory would likely never swim with the betta. Right now he is only swimming with the betta because he is a schooling fish and has no other options. Before I did all my research I kept a cory with a betta in a 5.5 gallon. He would swim with my betta and glass surf, which I realized was because he thought his reflection was a second cory. I thought he was happy but as soon as I put him with more cories it was clear that he wasn't very happy in his previous situation. Now he spends all day sitting next to his cory buddies and never swims with the betta. He won't leave if the betta sits next to him but he doesn't seek out the betta either. He's so much happier with his proper school and it shows--he's grown a little, he rarely gets pale from stress anymore, and he's even had several successful spawns. I agree with bomba that you should upgrade to a 10 gallon and get more cories. Otherwise you'll have a stressed out cory which decreases his life span and makes him more prone to illness.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote