Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #1 
blueridge

Filter recommendations?

Hi you guys, I was planning on starting a 5 gallon tank for either a male wild betta or a breeding pair and I was wondering what type of filter I should use? Sponge or just regular carbon filter? And which kind? I would like something local that I could possibly get supplies or replacement filters locally like from walmart, petsmart, or petco. Thanks :D
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

It depends on whether or not you want live plants. I wouldn't do a carbon filter with live plants as the carbon will remove nutrients from the water that plants need. A bubble filter is ideal as it produces less water movement than a power filter. I no longer use power filters with my bettas; I now just use bubble filters. You also could go filterless with enough live plants.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:21 PM   #3 
blueridge

I was only doing silk plants. A bubble filter? Could you possibly explain that further?
Old 02-15-2012, 10:28 PM   #4 
blueridge

Do you think a carbon filter will be ok though?
Old 02-15-2012, 10:59 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

For silk plants a carbon filter would be fine. I have other problems with carbon, but that's another story.

A bubble filter is an air-driven filter (as opposed to a power-driven filter like most carbon filters). The force of the air being driven upward pulls the water and small particles into a sponge. They are generally cheaper than carbon filters in the long run because you have to keep buying cartridges for the carbon filter.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:46 AM   #6 
blueridge

Oh ok...thank you so much for the advice!
Old 02-16-2012, 09:29 AM   #7 
bettasusa

Here is a good home made one I've been checking out and going to start working on and also

http://youtu.be/rj1Glx5anfM (Video)

and also these work pretty well especially for fry tanks. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bio-Sponge-F...ht_2524wt_1180
bettasusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #8 
blueridge

That Youtube video was awesome! I might end up doing that if I can't find a filter I like. Thanks!
Old 02-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #9 
thekoimaiden

I made my own bubble filter, too. I like it a lot better than most of the stuff sold on the market. Here's the video [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXDzgM9x3tc]HOW TO: Build a very simple aquarium filter - YouTube[/ame]
Old 02-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #10 
blueridge

Ok so I have a few questions if I decide to go this route...when do I need to replace the sponge? And what should I use in my bottle? I have seen several different things, so what would you recommend? And how big of a bottle should I use for a 5 gallon tank?