Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #1 
JBosley

Setting Up My Tank?

Hello,
So I recently got a used tank from a friend. A 5 gal Fluval Chi I washed it and the accessories thoroughly using hot water and vinegar, and got new pads for the filter! I set it all up, put in the recommended amount of tetra aqua safe tablets and the recommended about of tetra start zyme tablets. How long should I leave it running before I put Dragonfly in there?

I also have paper test strips, could NOT find liquid test kit, nor do I REALLY have the money for one Will this be okay?

Usually I just use water conditioner in his Kritter Keeper and he has no filter in his Kritter Keeper. Will the filter push him around too much?
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

I believe the filters on the chis are not too strong, I've never heard of someone having an issue.

It's ok if you don't have the kit, you only need them if you plant to cycle the tank. Even then, you can take your water to Petco and they will test it for free.
If you're not cycling the tank, you can place the fish there right away. Of course, since you're using tablets you should wait until they are dissolved. I like leaving my water overnight before I use it but it's not necessary, it just prevents smaller issues which a lot of people don't bother with (I'm a little paranoid about my water).

Post pics of you're setup when your fishie is all settled!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #3 
JBosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
I believe the filters on the chis are not too strong, I've never heard of someone having an issue.

It's ok if you don't have the kit, you only need them if you plant to cycle the tank. Even then, you can take your water to Petco and they will test it for free.
If you're not cycling the tank, you can place the fish there right away. Of course, since you're using tablets you should wait until they are dissolved. I like leaving my water overnight before I use it but it's not necessary, it just prevents smaller issues which a lot of people don't bother with (I'm a little paranoid about my water).

Post pics of you're setup when your fishie is all settled!
Thanks! I feel better now. No live plants here! I'm a plant killer, haha. I'll probably leave the water until tomorrow, it's already been running since yesterday, but I just added the water stuff today! I will definitely post pictures. I hope to get some more fake plants and create a little forrest for him! My sister has a Chi as well, and it seems like her fish has to constantly be swimming around or the filter pulls him around a bit... is this ok?
Old 02-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #4 
Geomancer

Cycling a tank takes 2-8 weeks, average around 4 weeks. You need an ammonia source though for the bacteria to form. A brand new filter by itself doesn't do much except mechanical filtration, which is the removal of floating particles in the water. After the weeks go by and the cycle is completed the filter pad will be colonized with bacteria and will perform the biological filtration necessary to deal with Ammonia and Nitrite.

Here is a good guide on it, along with ways to do it without using fish. http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...m-cycle-38617/

You can do a fish-in cycle, which would be what has already been discussed. Just know you'll have to do more frequent water changes to keep the Ammonia and Nitrite levels as low as possible. A reading over 0 ppm for both is 'bad', there is no safe amount of either.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #5 
JBosley

Thanks! I'll look into that... I've never cycled before. Usually just put in the water conditioner, let it run for a day or 2 and put the fish in

My water is REALLY cloudy this morning, is that normal?
Old 02-16-2012, 10:03 AM   #6 
kfryman

That's good though. It means that some bacteria is starting to colonize
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #7 
JBosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
That's good though. It means that some bacteria is starting to colonize
I was hoping thats all it was! How long until it will clear up? Im anxious to put Dragonfly in there haha. I'll test the water once it's cleared up!
Old 02-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #8 
Geomancer

Careful, cloudy water IS a sign of a bacterial bloom, but not of beneficial bacteria. It isn't harmful to fish, but does not mean your tank is on the way to being cycled. It usually clears within a week.

Beneficial bacteria will not form without an ammonia source, even if you leave a tank running for two months the cycle will not even have started. Ammonia is the food for the bacteria, without it the bacteria starves and dies.

If you are not going to cycle before putting the fish in, there is no reason to wait other than to ensure the heater is keeping the correct temperature. Just know you will need to do frequent water changes for the next two months until that cycle establishes. A liquid test kit is ideal for this, most recommend the API Master Test Kit.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #9 
JBosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomancer View Post
Careful, cloudy water IS a sign of a bacterial bloom, but not of beneficial bacteria. It isn't harmful to fish, but does not mean your tank is on the way to being cycled. It usually clears within a week.

Beneficial bacteria will not form without an ammonia source, even if you leave a tank running for two months the cycle will not even have started. Ammonia is the food for the bacteria, without it the bacteria starves and dies.

If you are not going to cycle before putting the fish in, there is no reason to wait other than to ensure the heater is keeping the correct temperature. Just know you will need to do frequent water changes for the next two months until that cycle establishes. A liquid test kit is ideal for this, most recommend the API Master Test Kit.
I still think I'll wait until it clears up a bit I had the filter off last night, so it is clearing up a bit now that it's on. Thanks for the information! It is VERY helpful, I will make sure to do more water changes for the first 2 months.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #10 
JBosley

So I decided to do a 25% water change, which really helped the tank clear up! It is still cloudy, but not nearly as bad. I decided to put Dragonfly in and he is doing well

His poor dorsal and caudal fins are all ripped up! I'm not sure if he was tail biting, or what happened. So I put in some Melafix, which I love! I have used it in the past and it has worked amazingly I am hoping since he's in a larger tank, with more stuff and more space his fins will heal and he will be happier.

Pictures to come!