Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2012, 02:28 AM   #1 
freemike

Filter questions

I'm so confused on what the filter is right now have read so much material. My filter (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Whis...-1-ct/10291764) has a white cartridge and black plastic spongy material in it. So how do I maintain it? I really don't want to upset my cycle by changing something I'm not supposed to change.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:25 AM   #2 
freemike

The reason I ask is because one of the white filter cartridges on identical setup looks a lot dingier than the other and the water isn't being cleaned nearly as effectively in that tank. The tanks are going on two weeks of use granted on the one that has the dingy filter I did not rinse the gravel properly so maybe I have used up that filter use with cleaning the particles that were stirred up when water was initially added. Also is the white part the chemical filter and the black filter the biological?

Last edited by freemike; 02-16-2012 at 03:33 AM.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #3 
Geomancer

The filter pad should be rinsed with each weekly water change (using tank water) to clear off gunk. It's important to use tank water, as tap water has chlorine which will kill the beneficial bacteria.

The only reason to replace a filter pad is the activated carbon will only last about 4 weeks, at which point it needs replaced. Some filter brands make it easy to dump old carbon and put new in without throwing the pad away. The spongy pad serves two purposes, one is it provides lots of surface area for beneficial bacteria and the other is it catches free floating particles in the water to keep it clear looking (this is what you are rinsing out).

Because of the beneficial bacteria being in the pad, it's best if you can keep it until it literally falls apart on you and only change the carbon once a month. A lot of filters however come packaged together in a way that you can't easily change out the carbon, in which case you have no choice but to toss the whole thing and replace once a month.

This is less of a problem in an established aquarium, as the majority of beneficial bacteria will be everywhere else (mainly the substrate) instead of mostly the filter like in a new tank.

Even easier is to go with a fully planted aquarium, in which case carbon is not used and you can continue to reuse the filter pad for months until it literally disintegrates on you.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote