Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #1 
BettaFishLuver

Question Tons of Questions

I've been posting various threads with questions in them but I keep thinking of more. I will separate my questions so you can quote them and answer them.

When conditioning do you use live foods?

Can I use snails from my pond or should I buy the snails at a pet store? If so, which type of snail? Mystery snail?

At what age is it appropriate to move the fry into the growout tank? How can you safely do this?

When you scoop out the male, what is the safest way to do it without netting fry? And without having to chase the male around the tank?

How long should I have my cultures going before the spawn?

How often should water changes be done? How do you do this?

Is 1 quart jars big enough for the males when they are separated? Do they need gravel or small plants in the jars?

If jars are two small is 1 gallon tanks with dividers better?

I will post more questions whenI an think of them.
BettaFishLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #2 
BettaFishLuver

Also, when you move the fry to the growout tank should I still keep the bottom bare? With only plants?
Old 02-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #3 
BeautifulBetta

I've been posting various threads with questions in them but I keep thinking of more. I will separate my questions so you can quote them and answer them.

Some do, some dont :) I usually use frozen bloodworms, pellets, mosquito larvae (if available), even boiled egg yolk. My adults loooove egg yolk

Can I use snails from my pond or should I buy the snails at a pet store? If so, which type of snail? Mystery snail?
I love mystery snails so i'm gunna say get a couple of those guys, and they don't breed like rabbits hahaha

At what age is it appropriate to move the fry into the growout tank? How can you safely do this?
I moved mine at two weeks because I had to, but some people prefer to wait until they're a month old

When you scoop out the male, what is the safest way to do it without netting fry? And without having to chase the male around the tank?
I managed to grab mine with my hand (washed of course), but for those males who aren't as hand friendly, you'd have to net him lol. Maybe lure him to the furthest place from the nest and net him there as calmly as you can

Microworms and other worms should be going a couple weeks before you spawn, bbs dont last very long so the culture would have to be done every day or second day. They're most protein-rich in the first 24 hours of hatching

If the tank is half full, just start adding a gallon or so a day until the tank is full once the fry are two weeks old-ish. Make sure the water is aged, conditioned and exactly the same temperature, fry are suuuper sensitive. Once it's full, theres a few different ideas about when or how much you should do per day. I started doing 25% every day (including siphoning the bottom because I had no snails or filter at the time) once the babies hit two weeks old and were able to be seen easier. Once mine hit a month old, they got moved to a 29 gallon (instead of 10) and get 50% water changes every day

Is 1 quart jars big enough for the males when they are separated? Do they need gravel or small plants in the jars?
If you plan on selling them, jars should be okay if they aren't gunna be in it for a long time. Water changes will have to be done every day most likely, they'll foul them pretty quick

Also, when you move the fry to the growout tank should I still keep the bottom bare? With only plants?
I kept the bottom of mine bare so the snails can get the leftover food, and its easier to siphon the bottom

I hope this helps haha. If anyone else wants to add anything, or correct me, please do. :P
BeautifulBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #4 
BettaFishLuver

Thank you for all the information! Is it alright to occasionally feed the fry egg yolk too?
Old 02-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #5 
BeautifulBetta

No problem! Yeah mine seemed to like it! After the microworms they kinda looked at it like "wtf is this crap?!" but they soon realized it was yummy :)
Old 02-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #6 
BettaFishLuver

Cool, thanks again. You really helped a lot!
Old 02-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #7 
BeautifulBetta

No problem :D
Old 02-25-2012, 12:33 AM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Preferably but any high protein food should do fine. Just adjust the amount and frequency of feeding.

Yes. They will multiply like crazy, but that's good because they will clean out leftover food.

This depends on the size of your breeding tank and the number of fry you have. I usually wait until they're about 5mm long - sometimes longer.
Simply scoop them up with a fine net. Careful that you don't squeeze them when you release/push them out of the net.

Use a jarred female to lure him to the opposite end. Then catch him with your hand. Don't scare him because that might make him hide - making it impossible to not disturb fry.

-

Frequent small water changes IMO is better than one large wc. But this isn't always possible since it takes quite a while to do them. During the first few weeks, just siphon out water by attaching an airstone to the suction end. When they're bigger and can avoid the siphon, then you can siphon out wastes. Remember to refill using the drip system. It will take ages, but much safer for the fry.

Since you need to do daily wc on jars, try to keep them together as long as possible. Another advantage is that they will grow faster compared to jarred fry. Bettas don't need gravel. It is us, the keepers who need them. Lol. Besides, bare bottoms are easier to clean, specially when you have to do it daily. They don't need plants but it's good for them.

If jars are two small is 1 gallon tanks with dividers better?
IMO, no. Dividers are too much trouble for me. I prefer to move (if I decided to jar them) groups of them to a 1g when they're still small (about 10mm). No aggression and easier to control for illnesses.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote