Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #1 
AngesRadieux

Do You Think This is Safe?

So, I kind of want a 3rd betta... But I'd need to buy a new tank and stuff. Now, I have a bag of roughly 5 lbs of gravel that I'm wondering if I can use instead of buying new substrate. My only issue is that it was in my 5.5 gallon tank when my topfin heater leaked toxins into the water and killed Severus. It's been out of the water for about three weeks now, so I'm wondering if it anything nasty on it would have evaporated and it's safe to use. What do you guys think? Is it safe or should I just get new substrate if I end up getting another fish?
AngesRadieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #2 
Jrf456

I'd hate to risk it. Say you find a gooooorgeous betta with a great personality and instead of spending 4$-5$ on new gravel so you know it's safe you risk it? I'm just saying.. I'd hate for that to happen. :/
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #3 
AngesRadieux

Yeah... You're right. If I end up getting a new fish, I'll probably get new substrate, too. Knowing my luck, doing anything else would just end badly.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #4 
gabrielle09

I don't know if I would use it. I know when my one tank got ich I had a fungus growing on all my ornaments so I boiled them all and cleaned my tank out with a bit of vinegar and the fungus still grew back. I had to throw all my rocks and ornaments out and disinfect the tank all over again before the fungus would stop growing. I know it's a little bit of a different scenario but I wouldn't trust putting my fish in with that rock just knowing how hard it is to kill some germs. I hope that helps.
gabrielle09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #5 
SnowySurface

I have two questions before I can answer your question. ^_^;

How did you wash your gravel 3 weeks ago?

Do you know what chemicals leaked out of your heater?

Edit: I guess I should mention that I'm a chemist so chemicals don't scare me that much. Depending what was in the heater you could be good. But some of the cheaper heaters contain stuff that would make me dump the substrate and decore after an explosion. X3

Last edited by SnowySurface; 02-16-2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Adding background info.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #6 
AngesRadieux

It's been rinsed. I'm not sure what chemical it leaked. It was a top fin heater if that helps. The fish ended up having chemical burns when he died.

But, I did end up buying new substrate, anyway. I found a lovely mustard gas super delta. He's got some fin rot, but I think some clean water and stress coat will help with that. And if that's not enough, I do have AQ salt, though I'd rather avoid that if I can.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #7 
BETTACHKALOVE

I would not use anything from that tank and i also would disinfect the tank too. Is he active and eating? Does he has white cottony like stuff on his body? Can you put a picture? Is there any other symptoms?

Sometimes if fish active and eating fin rot can be treated just with a lot of water changes.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #8 
SnowySurface

Yeah...I can't even find a site for Top Fin. XD

Sometimes it is better to buy everything new if you don't know exactly what leaked into the tank. Good luck with your new betta. :)
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #9 
BETTACHKALOVE

To diseanfect the tank specially from fungus you need to use clorax. I used 1 to 10 (1 is clorax). Let it stay at least 30 min then air dry it for a day or two. If you can put it on a sun inside or outside.

For fin rot if fish stopped eating or get lethargic you need aquarium salt. Pre mix 1 tsp/gall in 1 gall jug. You can use gall from the spring water. Shake it make sure it dissolved. Treat him for 10 days with 100% daily water changes. You might need to increase dose of aquarium salt depends on how he feels. Aquarium salt you can use up to 3 tsp/gall

It better to put betta in smaller container to make water changes easier
Old 02-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #10 
BETTACHKALOVE

gabrielle09
Of course you can discrepant with clorax only the tank not the gravel or ornaments. Also when i did it i wash it like million times and wiped and then washed it again.
AngesRadieux
Don't afraid to use aquarium salt. It better to use it if needed then betta will get worse. If you use right dosage and right duration you will not heart betta but you will treat him. Aquarium salt less stressful and less harmful then medications.
So if your fish get worse diffidently do aq salt treatment.