Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2012, 01:45 AM   #1 
OMB

Putting my guys in their divided tank...a little nervous

My guys, Spark & Sully, are being put into a divided tank tonight. Right now they are floating in cups getting adjusted to the new tank water.
But I'm getting nervous to release them! Worried that they cant handle the stress of being next to another and start tailbiting or something. Or that I put too much stuff in the tank and they'll get stuck or something. Anyone else get nervous like me? Sully (blue w/red VT on the right) has been pretty content in his 1.5 gal tank since I got him as a rescue 4 months ago. Nice bubble nests, rarely flaring. Spark (yellow CT, on the left) is new - got him a couple weeks ago. And today he presented me with a bubble nest. But he was in a 1 gal bowl. Now they're about to share a 6 gal tank. When I put them both in the tank on separate sides to acclimate, Sully immnediately started freaking out pointed toward Spark. Spark didn't have much of a reaction. I really hope it works out!

Name:  IMG_5611.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  62.1 KB

Name:  IMG_5613.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  71.5 KB

Yes, the water is yellowish because of the driftwood tannins. Also, I will be adding some more live plants in each side soon (only the marimos are real, rest is mix of silk & plastic plants - did the pantyhose test). And, as soon as I know Sully likes his floating log (which isn't in the tank while he's floating), I'll take the rainbow colored cave out to stick with the natural looking theme.
OMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:16 AM   #2 
OMB

I did it! And sat in front of the tank for a while watching them explore their new homes. They're both definitely not timid guys! They seemed happy swimming all over the place as I watched them for any potential hazards. Spark seems to look curiously at the sponge baffle that is hanging in the water like "is that a bubble nest"? because it definitely looks like one from his view. And Sully, who i was most worried about, seems really happy...but I have to watchi him because it looks like he tries to squeeze himself between anything he can - and I noticed he "unstuck" himself from the intake pressure (though I did put a sponge in it - he used to like sweeming up against the intake on his old tank - and that one was a really light intake). Hopefully he's either just playing or will learn not to hang out by it. He's already scavenging for food as if he never ate twice today already. And I've only seen them meet at the divider once - and Sully flared but Spark didn't react.
So far so good. *whew* We'll see how it is in the morning.
Name:  IMG_5649.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  63.7 KB

Spark checking out the sponge baffle on the left side, Sully exploring the his new plant that he seems to love swimming in and out of.
Name:  IMG_5659.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  53.8 KB

Sully discovered his floating log! Hopefully I can take out his rainbow colored cave soon! (He did seem to be thankful it was there when he was first released - something he was familiar with! He was cautious about the log for some time.)
Name:  IMG_5657.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  36.4 KB
Old 01-19-2012, 04:09 AM   #3 
OMB

*swimming
lol!
Old 01-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #4 
nel3

thats good to hear, are they flaring at each other often? are they the same age approximately? i have a younger DT with a old VT. the DT doesnt react to the VT while the VT does try to rile up the DT unsucessfully.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:01 AM   #5 
OMB

It's been over a month now and I'm happy to report that Spark & Sully are doing amazing in their divided tank. I have never caught them flaring at eachother. They will swim up to the divider every so often if the other is also at the divider and then swim away - Spark will often flare as he is running away. I guess I have a couple of gentle bettas. They actually are right next to eachother (divider between them) when I feed them, they don't even notice the other (except seeing the food the other is getting). But they wait patiently for their food. They both also make HUGE bubble nests, I'm glad I don't have to wreck their bubble nests as quickly as I used to since I don't have to clean this tank out as much as I had to the 1.5 gal that Sully used to be in. Also, the tannins are starting to clear up with the weekly water changes so it's not as yellow anymore. I love my tank! The diy dividers I made out of report binders and cross-stitch mesh aren't very noticeable. Really love how easy it was to divide it. My guys are much happier and more active in this tank. So glad I did it!
Old 02-16-2012, 01:06 AM   #6 
OMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
thats good to hear, are they flaring at each other often? are they the same age approximately? i have a younger DT with a old VT. the DT doesnt react to the VT while the VT does try to rile up the DT unsucessfully.
Spark, the CT, is young - he's quite small and I got him from Petco just a month ago...so definitely not older. Sully, the VT, I got as a "rescue" from craigslist. I think he's a lot older ...he's a lot less active, swims slower and rests a lot more than Spark. Also his face is a tinge brown -which I think I read here could mean he's on the old side. He's almost twice the size of Spark (though you can't tell in the pics). They don't really flare at eachother. I know that Sully will swim up to the divider if Spark is on the other side and seemingly try to size him up - but he doesn't flare. If Spark notices, he will swim away quickly and flare as he's running away. Spark flares at me more than anything else. Since I moved Sully from his highly reflective 1.5 gal tank, i haven't seen him flare at anything.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:41 AM   #7 
Bombalurina

Got to say, those are some stunningly beautiful fish.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:52 AM   #8 
JBosley

I love your Yellow guy! *Ish jealous*
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #9 
OMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Got to say, those are some stunningly beautiful fish.
Aw, thanks! I love them!
Old 02-17-2012, 10:40 AM   #10 
OMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBosley View Post
I love your Yellow guy! *Ish jealous*
Yeah his coloring is pretty cool. I got him at Petco for like $3.99 I think. I was just in there to buy gravel (Sully was about to get his own 6 gal tank), but saw him and couldn't put him down. I was a slight bit worried that his coloring would change to red or blue when he settled in but he's just gotten more yellow and stayed with the iridiscent blue "flames" & some red on his fins. He's gorgeous! I lucked out finding him!

I'll try to post more pics soon now that the tank is clearer.