Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #1 
CraneSong

Fin Rot Help

Heya, it's me again.

Some of you might remember Rakesh, the out-of-nowhere new betta, and me, the totally unprepared owner-by-default. Things are going alright, considering the lack of adequate size and conditions. It's usually around 80F in the room so I figure that more than likely his water is about 70-75. I also keep his tank next to my laptop, so the fan from it heats the table and thus the water. (I give the side a feel every now and again to make sure it's not getting too warm.)

But the point of this post is that he's gotten fin rot- not particularly surprising. I changed his water more frequently, about every other day (he didn't like the tap water + Tetra Aqua Safe, so I have to use store bought drinking water, per the recommendation of a neighbor), and he looks a bit more fin-y. However, the edges of his fins are still transparent and a bit ragged. I couldn't find a picture pointing out the differences between new fin growth and fin rot, only that new fin growth is clear. Which isn't exactly that helpful, considering that fin rot is also about the fins becoming transparent.

Akesh is flaring- I think I accidentally trained him to flare at my fingers- he's active, eating well, made a few tiny bubble nests... He'll have spastic episodes, though, before just hovering in the water without moving for a few moments. Then he's swimming around again. I can't tell if it's a wiggle dance or if he's flipping out for one reason or another... I'm hoping someone here will? D:

This is him before... [X]
This is him now... [X][X]

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 Gallon
What temperature is your tank? ~70-75 (Room is 70-80)
Does your tank have a filter? No, unfortunately
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Room temp is very warm, sometimes heated by laptop fan (but not directly for long periods of time)
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? TopFin Color-Enhancing Betta Bits
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 bits twice a day, once a day on Sunday

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every 3-4 days- Recently, every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%. If I don't do 100%, I do a 25-30%.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I use drinking water + a drop or two of Tetra Aqua Safe, since I clean the rocks and plants with tap water.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
I do not have a testing kit.

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins are a bit ragged, transparent edges
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It has not (aside from spastic movements)
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Since getting him a month ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I have been increasing the water changes, as well as putting in an extra drop of Aqua Safe, which claims to help fins/gills heal
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He's had fin rot since just after we got him from Petsmart
How old is your fish (approximately)? Age we got him + 1 month (7 months?)

Thank you all so much for your help before, and thanks to anyone who offers help this time around. <3 Rakesh and I appreciate it.
CraneSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #2 
Shirleythebetta

can you post a pic?
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #3 
CraneSong

Yeah, they're at the top half of the post, I linked them because they're so large. They're linked to the [X]'s.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #4 
Shirleythebetta

That doesn't really look like fin rot to me. It looks like his tail is growing. Fin rot is black and curls. Clear is growth that will color up over time. Thats just my opinion. And jeez do I feel like a dope for not noticing the pics *smacks forehead* I think he is fine and you should just watch him for a couple weeks. If it turns black then its fin rot. He looks healthier in the newer pics in my opinion so I think you are fine
Old 02-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #5 
Shirleythebetta

sorry for double posting. I did notice the curling on his bottom fin but it looks like he is just recovering from the rot. Just keep his water super clean. one of my boys bottom fin looks like that and he is a recovering rot victim. sometimes the rot makes them look like that.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #6 
CraneSong

Okay, phew, that's good! Yeah, he definitely had fin rot, because he's lost about a quarter of his tail. I think he might actually be a spade rather than a VT but I guess I'll have to see when/if he gets his full tail back. I'm glad that that clear fin means it's recovering. I didn't notice it until these past few days, so I thought maybe it was fin rot in action.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #7 
Shirleythebetta

i think he's a veil tail but I could be wrong. A spade i think is shorter and fatter with a more dramatic point but as you said. You will know when he gets some regrowth. He looks great. It looks like the rot is clearing up fine. Keep up on his water and all will be well. If you want to see the difference between spade and Veil tail check out this link.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/bett...ilfinforms.php
Old 02-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #8 
CraneSong

Yeah, his tail kind of looked like that when he flared before- but he lost that point. I guess I don't know what the spade looks like when he's not flared, but looking back at a few videos I had his tail is kinda spade-looking. But we'll seeee~

Thanks a ton for your help!
Old 02-16-2012, 06:15 PM   #9 
Shirleythebetta

Your welcome. You will have fun trying to figure it out in the mean time. lol
Old 02-16-2012, 11:29 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

If you can, definitely invest in a heater. 10 degrees is quite a lot of fluctuation and that's really unhealthy. Stability is just as important as warmth. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote