Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #1 
Juliana

finrot? *pic heavy*

One of my betta's fins became curled and sort of shriveled/ruffly at the edges a couple days ago and also darkened at the tips. I got him from Petco last week and his fins had no dark edges then, and for the most part they were straight (part of his dorsal fin had a slight curl). Is this fin rot? Since I brought him home, I've been careful to keep his ammonia at 0ppm, but when I first got him from the store, I tested the water in his cup and the ammonia was 4.0ppm. Are his symptoms the result of the conditions he was kept in at the pet store?

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.75 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 79 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? I try feeding him twice a day, but I've only had him a little over a week and he isn't actually eating regularly yet. He's eaten maybe 3 times since I got him.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? One 50% change and one 100% change per week
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra BettaSafe

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5.0ppm
pH: 7.4
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? The edges of his fins have become curled. The best way to describe it is the tips of his fins look like the tips of flower petals when they start to wither. Sort of curled and shriveled. The edges of his fins have also darkened, not black but darker green.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't. He's still active and behaves as he has since I got him. He also swims normally.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Two days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got him from Petco a little over a week ago

The first two pictures are of him the day that I got him. The rest I took while I was doing his 100% water change yesterday. Sorry there are so many!
Attached Images

Juliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #2 
Myates

Such a cutie!

Honestly I believe it's him bringing out his colors now that he is in a well cared for home. The curling may be due to the new water differences- such as a a higher pH, etc. Normally you will see the blackening on just the edges, along with a crusty type of look, and pieces flaking off.

My suggestion is to continue what you are doing in way of care- your tank and water change schedule is spot on. It looks like he may be a fin biter, or had bitten his fin before you got him.. so keep an eye on that to make sure you don't confuse it with rot- and that you keep up on the water changes to decrease the chance of rot forming. Otherwise, looks like you have a healthy, handsome boy who will continue to change colors on you for a bit more.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #3 
MistersMom

i don't see any fin-rot! :)
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #4 
vilmarisv

I don't see finrot either but when fins look "melted" it could be due to high levels of ammonia in the water. Try increasing water changes and make sure you're cleaning the gravel well.
Another reason could be that your water is too hard.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote