Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2012, 09:26 AM   #11 
MandiceP

I acquired a free bookshelf from my boss a few years back and the thing is sturdy as heck. I have two ten gallons on top (it's like 48" long and only about 4 feet high) and I can put up to 3 All-Glass 2.5 gallon tanks on each shelf. I've even put screws under the shelves above the tanks to install strip lights to illuminate the tanks without having to put a light on each tank. I love it! I'll find a picture!

I've since started adding another row on the middle shelf since I had to clear out my breeding tank (I had two males living in there) So imagine the next shelf down being the same as the one with the two gallons!

This was an up close shot I took of it after I finished setting it up initially. I've changed it slightly since, but you get the idea...

So keep an eye out on craig'slist and local yard sales and usable trash sections at the dump and the like and find a gem like this! I got this completely free (save for the gas money I had to pay someone with a truck to get it to me, lol!) But you get the idea!

Be careful with some things from Ikea... while nice to look at, their stuff isn't the greatest quality if you want cheap. It is mostly made of particle board and can come apart easily if you don't put it together quite right... And you have to put EVERYTHING together yourself... lol and they only have pictures on the directions so they can use them in every country. It can be confusing! :/
MandiceP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #12 
chrissylee13

really good ideas. thanks guys! i'll keep looking around for stuff!!

i'm actually considering making my own stand/book self/end table for my tanks too if i don't find anything.

MandiceP: but wow! i LOVE your setup. it's like perfect to have multiple tanks/bettas in just one place. and i looks really nice.
chrissylee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #13 
MandiceP

Thank you! I do have a 6 gallon divided tank with my best two males sitting on my desk in another room, but other than that they are all right there! I plan on making room for a couple more two gallons because I plan on keeping a few babies from future spawns! YAY! Now to find a good place for all those DVD's.... lmao!

I like the idea of building one if you are able to. That way you can use thick good quality wood and reinforce it so that it will stand up to holding heavy tanks over time! So make sure to keep us posted with what you choose/make! I can't wait to see

P.S. for anyone who is wondering, the strip lights are 18" plug in basic strip lights (under the counter type) that I got a home depot for 10.75 each! It's a good deal! They come with mounting screws!

Last edited by MandiceP; 02-18-2012 at 12:32 PM.
MandiceP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #14 
chrissylee13

hahaha sounds like a plan!
Old 02-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #15 
OMB

Name:  IMG_5938a.jpg
Views: 1530
Size:  31.0 KB
Here's mine on the $20 Ikea Laiva desk. I made sure to check it's sturdiness & design out at the store, put it together properly and I am pretty careful with water dripping due to the material (and put the mat under the tank). The wood pieces are a lot heavier than you'd think. If I wanted to, I could reinforce the desk with hardware even more. Just didn't have much time or money to make my own or wait for something to materialize on craigslist (I searched for a few wks). For a 6gal tank you don't need to get too crazy - it'll be about 60lbs or so (10lbs per gal depending on decorations and tank material too - mine is all glass). It's also kind of temporary as I plan to move in a year so I wanted something that'd be sort of lightweight and easy to move (& I'd want to keep around). I was just super excited with this find!
Good luck and let us know what you do!
OMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #16 
chrissylee13

oh wow! yeah it does look really nice! and thanks i will do so!
Old 02-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #17 
jasonh
Banned

i have a ten gal on my desk on some wood bricks. i have a 7 foot wood and steel table for a desk so it can handle the weight.
my fish likes to look out the window when its sunny.

for my other 5gal tank i put it on an old dresser to my left.

after looking at Kfish's walmart links i think i'm going to get a 6 foot rack. i can put both tanks on there and have room for supplies

Last edited by jasonh; 02-19-2012 at 08:43 PM. Reason: edit
jasonh is offline   Reply With Quote