Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #1 
gabrielle09

Soroity Tank Issues

Okay so when I cleaned my soroity tank out the first time I only had five fish in it and they seemed to be doing well. I ended up getting one more female and when my ten gallon was set up again I added them just like I did the previous time. Now there was a little bit of fighting with the new one starting it all and I put her in a time out tank for a day. So now all six are together again and they are not attacking each other and for the most part staying out of each other's way but all their fins are clamped shut and they are not happy. I was wondering how long it would take for them to get used to each other because I am considering giving them all their own tanks because I hate to see them so unhappy. My tank has a lot of plants and hiding places so they don't have to see each other if they don't want to but even when they are on opposite ends of the tank they do not seem happy. I've had them together for three days, is this normal?
gabrielle09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

What you need to remember is that sororities are not a natural way for bettas to live. In the wild, girls will encounter each other, but not live together all the time. Some females never properly adjust to life in a sorority. On the other hand, you get freaks like my girls who never seem comfortable apart.

Can you post a picture of your tank? What is your temperature and are there any other tankmates? :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #3 
gabrielle09

No I took out their other tank mates after the girls tried to eat them. I had some platys in with them and they didn't like that very much. Oh and my heater has a set temperature, it is 75 degrees fairenheit I think. I'll try to post a picture as soon as I get home.
gabrielle09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

Try raising the temperature to at least 78 by wrapping a towel or something around the tank until you can invest in an adjustable heater. 75 is a bit on the chilly side and the clamped fins could be a sign that they are cold. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote