Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #1 
GreyCheyenne

What color baby bettas would I get?

I wondered if anybody knew what color fry I would get from breeding my male with these females. I was also wondering what I would get if I had a royal blue female crossed with him (or the females with a blue male).
Attached Images

GreyCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #2 
tpocicat

I'm no expert on betta colors or anything, I just wanted to say WOW HE'S PRETTY!!!!!
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #3 
ravenwinds

I'm sorry that I can't help with your questions (although I would think that at least some of the babies would have same colouring as mom and dad if you bred him to either of your females since their colouring is so similar).

I really just wanted to say: whoa, he's gorgeous! Like a frilly and ruffled English tea party dress with matching hat! (just what he makes me think of:).
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #4 
Fabian

It is actually hard to tell.Maybe a pair dark bodied betta spawns you can even get some light coloured ones.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:29 PM   #5 
betta lover1507

my theory for breeding is that most will have the father's color and the mother's finnage (in most spawns it is like that)
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:35 PM   #6 
JKfish

Most petstore bettas have a whole slew of different genetics and possible colorations in them, so when you breed them you really don't know what the fry will look like.

However, since lighter colors are the base coloration and typically don't show if there are other darker colored genes in there, I'd say that you have a pretty good chance of getting all light colored fry. If you were to breed your light colored boy (is he a cellophane?) with a dark female (say red or blue) then you'd probably get mostly darker fry because the dark coloration added would cover the lighter coloration...

http://www.bettysplendens.com/articl...?articleid=859 is a great link (it's easy to understand and follow- very well written) on coloration and genetics if you're interested.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:15 AM   #7 
Curlyfatbottom

Not knowing the parent background is really hard to tell.
My guess is light color fish.
Since both parent is light color.
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:12 AM   #8 
GreyCheyenne

Thanks for the help (and the nice comments about Captain Shining)!
Old 02-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #9 
GreyCheyenne

I'm not sure exactly what color he is. Someone (I think Shirleythebetta) thought he was pastel or opaque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Most petstore bettas have a whole slew of different genetics and possible colorations in them, so when you breed them you really don't know what the fry will look like.

However, since lighter colors are the base coloration and typically don't show if there are other darker colored genes in there, I'd say that you have a pretty good chance of getting all light colored fry. If you were to breed your light colored boy (is he a cellophane?) with a dark female (say red or blue) then you'd probably get mostly darker fry because the dark coloration added would cover the lighter coloration...

http://www.bettysplendens.com/articl...?articleid=859 is a great link (it's easy to understand and follow- very well written) on coloration and genetics if you're interested.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #10 
indjo
TFK Moderator

In general I agree with JKfish.

IMO your bettas are all pastels or cellophanes (opaque is more "paper or milk" white) so you should get a lot of pastels. The shades depend on the genetic back ground in the parents. If they have irid backgrounds, you should get some with blue/green sheen/layer.

If you pair it to a blue, you should get pastels, blue pastels, blue cambodian like colors, and blue. If your blue is a multi or contains red genes, you should get some red cambodians also.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote