Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #11 
Draug Isilme

Oops, my bad -.-;; I read some of the threads that I had in my notifications and went back... Shoulda double checked before I posted... Sorry!!

Edit: Oh wait, I know what happened! I usually type my stuff up in wordpad and I made one for this, but apparently I forgot to copy that particular one after I typed it up, so it ended up posting the previous one I typed up for a different thread... I'll fix it!!
Edit edit: .... or not, since apparently I'm unable to edit after a certain time period(?) I can't delete it, either, so if someone could get rid of that one, it would be great! Eh... oh well... Here's what the previous post was supposed to say from me:
Hopefully you'll get your lighting situation worked out to where you'll have better lighting ^.^ You'll really notice the difference in your faster growing plants with the right conditions.
A paper-bag brown background sounds good ^.^ Sounds like it would have a very 'flat' look, if you know what I mean... so it sounds like reflections would be minimal to non-existant. Definitely give it a try when you get the chance and see if it makes a difference.

Last edited by Draug Isilme; 02-19-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:45 AM   #12 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Trouble with Ott-Lites (in my experience) is guessing at the Kelvin rating of their bulbs. I can't find that info on their website. And the K varies from one fixture style to another.

Also, I have a hard time finding replacements other than Ott brand bulbs, which are expensive.

I got real simple with a cheap second-hand screw-in desk lamp and spiral CFL bulbs rated at 6500K. Done and done.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #13 
Geomancer

I'm seeing lots of good advice here, but I thought I'd chime in a little.

Plants will grow fine with a bulb in the 5000-7000K spectrum. ~6500K is ideal, yes, but you won't have magically better results going from a 5500K to a 6500K bulb.

I really recommend reading over Byron's four part guide for plants, it is full of information you may find useful, and also stop by the plant section on the forums here. Lots of helpful people.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/a...um-part-34861/

You have Water Sprite, which can be grown floating and is actually very good at it. Floating plants provide excellent shade for the fish below, and most fish thrive under the cover of them. Fish do need rest, and do need periods of absolute darkness each day. Bright lighting, as you've seen, is stressful to these fish. Most tropical fish come from forests and marshes where there is a thick canopy of trees providing shade, they are not exposed to direct sunlight all day.

Are you using a fertilizer? A comprehensive fertilizer like Flourish is ideal as it provides all the nutrients plants require in the correct proportions with the exception of light and CO2. Your fish and decaying mater will provide all the CO2 you need, and your lamp will provide the light. The photo period (the time the lights are on) should be kept under 12 hours a day.

Plants will photosynthesis all out until they run out of a nutrient they need. Once they run out of a single nutrient, they stop. You really want your light to be the limiting factor, because otherwise algae will take advantage. With light being the limiting factor, algae does not stand much of a chance as the plants will out compete it for nutrients. There will always be some, and a little is good, but it will never explode if you limit your light (either by intensity or duration).

The lamp you currently have is more than sufficient for a 5g aquarium. How old is the bulb? Fluorescent bulbs only maintain their full spectrum intensity for about 1 year, after which they need replaced. Your eyes won't notice a difference, but the plants will. The 'angel' won't mater, straight down is fine. The distance from the surface however does, the closer it is the more intense it will be for the plants.

You may consider getting a fixture that uses are regular spiral CFL and use a 10W 6500K bulb. That could safely be placed directly over the tank and provide a moderate light level.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #14 
mathkid

Thanks Geomancer! I really like Byron's guide. To answer your questions:

- Yep, I've left the water sprite floating. Since it's so feathery, it filters rather than completely blocks out the light.
- I have Flourish "comprehensive" - which says it's all the micronutrients and doesn't include macro. Is that the right one? Should I get Excel?
- The lamp is about 9 months old now. I'll swing by the hardware store and pick up a cheapo lamp + 6500k CFLs and see if it helps... seems like it's worth a try.
mathkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #15 
Geomancer

Flourish Comprehensive is ideal, it is the one I was talking about. With a 5g tank a bottle will last you a long time. 5 mL / 60 gallons comes out to 0.42 mL / 5 gallons each week. The smallest 250 mL bottle would last you 600 weeks which is about 11.5 years ;) Thankfully it does not have an expiration date.

Smaller bottles exist (down to 50 mL bottles) but the smallest I've seen in my area is the 250 and 500 mL (they go up to 2L bottles).

Excel is a carbon supplement, it can sometimes be used in place of CO2 injection but carries the same problem/side effects. That is, it raises the bar and all the other nutrients, and light, must be raised to balance. High light plus carbon (and the fertilizer to match) will generally result in faster plant growth. Balance is the key though.

Some plants do not do well with Excel, but I am not familiar enough to know which ones.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:26 PM   #16 
Bombalurina

It will cause anacharis to melt. Not sure about any others, though. The guys on theplantedtank would probably know. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:31 AM   #17 
mathkid

Thanks! I have a 100mL bottle of Flourish and I expect it will last me a good long while =)

Today I picked up a simple desk lamp and 6500K bulb:
* Desk Lamp - Black (Includes CFL Bulb) : Target
* Shop SYLVANIA 2-Pack 60-Watt Equivalent Daylight Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb at Lowes.com

Just eyeballing it, the new light is noticeably brighter and white/blue-er, especially through 10" of water. So let's see how this goes! Hopefully with enough plants/decorations, the bright light won't bother my betta. =)
mathkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #18 
Bombalurina

If you can get hold of Indian Almond Leaves, they not only provide shelter by floating on the surface, they stain the water slightly with tannins so your betta will feel more comfortable. :) They've never had a noticeable effect on my (admittedly low-medium light) plants.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live plants, plant lighting