Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2012, 05:47 AM   #1 
Moclam

Blown glass?

Being around all types of art, I tend to stop by the glass blowing students, as I adore they're amazing talents. I tend to get free practice glass pieces. Not perfect, but lovely all in the same. I was wondering if such would be safe to put in tanks? Would they just shatter with the water pressure? Or act like anything else? I think they would be lovely little ornaments if they'd work. As some provide tunnels and such. Anyone ever used them in there tanks?
Moclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:44 AM   #2 
Draug Isilme

Ooooh!! I've never tried this myself, but it definitely sounds like something you should try if you manage to ^.^ I would assume it would depend on how thick and/or durable the glass is to really say if it would or wouldn't be able to stand as an aquarium- not to mention how large or small the piece is.... Seems like you'd be able to crank out small glass bowls as the water weight wouldn't be baring down on the glass hardcore like it would if you were to try and make something huge.... but that's just a guestimation!! ^.^;;; But yeah, you're given the opportunity, you may as well try it while you have the chance- seems like it's definitely an experiment worth looking into!
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:26 AM   #3 
Shirleythebetta

I've seen people use martini glasses on here and they are really thin. Sounds cool.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #4 
Moclam

Hmm...I do believe I might try it then! I've recently picked up a piece with a blown glass jellyfish inside a bubble. The jellyfish even glows in the dark. I do believe it was meant to be a paper weight. Should work well I suppose.
Moclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:37 AM   #5 
Laki

You mean, unfinished blown glass? That can get pretty thin. How about get some and practice in an empty tank, see what kind of pressure it can take, rub panty hose along it and gently drop it a couple times in the water :)I think it could look amazing if it works!!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #6 
MandiceP

Oh my gosh you need to post pictures when you decorate because the jellyfish paperweight sounds amazing!
MandiceP is offline   Reply With Quote