Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #1 
cp6445

Question re: fin regrowth

So I'm finally winning against tail rot (I think) after about 10 days, I see some clearish stuff along border of Keller's fins, about 1/8 of an inch- At first I panicked and thought I was now dealing with fungus, but it appears clear and he has no signs of fungus on his body, so I think it is new growth.

What is the progression for this? How long does it usually take for fins to regrow, and when does coloration to the clear new growth occur?

Appreciate any information or advice. Thanks!
cp6445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #2 
kfish

When I got Mr. Fish, his fins were in abysmal shape.

I took about 5 months for his fins to grow back fully and become fully re-colored. BUT he was missing almost his entire tail.

Depending how much of his fins are gone, you're looking at at least a month for full growth/recoloration. The color will slowly fade back into the fin.

My album documents some of the process, starting about two months in... this will show you how the clear fades to the coloration: http://www.bettafish.com/album.php?albumid=1328

This picture in particular is good for showing what regrowth looks like:

Note: This picture was taken after 3 months of growth. You can see where his fins were gone up to, if you look at the coloring in his fins... His tail was gone up to where the purple threads end... so about half of the size in this picture.

This was after about 4 months.

Last edited by kfish; 02-18-2012 at 11:25 AM.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #3 
jasonh
Banned

make sure you give him lots of protein and the amount of regrowth might surprise you
jasonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

I had a similar problem to kfish - due to a previous owner's lack of knowledge, Apollo lost almost all of his tail to finrot. It took him a couple of months to regrow it. He was in a 5 gallon tank with the water heated to 82, 25% water changes every second or third day and Indian Almond Leaf in the water. The clear stuff is good - keep the water clean and warm to encourage it. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #5 
kfish

!! Bombalurina made a very good point. Make sure the water stays VERY clean the whole time he is healing. He's prone to fin rot right now!

I was doing 50% water changes 1-2 times per week depending on water parameters in my 5 gallon tank. Sometimes I changed it more frequently than that, as it was cycling the first 2 months he was in there. I kept ammonia and nitrites below 0.25 ppm. Temperature of 80 degrees. Mr. Fish never once got fin rot, even while healing for 5 months.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #6 
cp6445

Thanks everyone!
cp6445 is offline   Reply With Quote