Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #1 
zacheyp

5 gallon betta sorority?

Hi guys, i really want a bigger tank but i only have room for 5 gallons so that is the tank i got. If my 5 gallon was HEAVILY planted and filtered would it be possible to keep a betta soroity. If so how many should i keep?
Thanks and i cant wait to cycle my tank and upload pics!
zacheyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

I would advice against it.
Five galong is small, by the time you fill with plants, substrate and decorations you end up with less than 5 galons and five fish (min. for sororities) in such a small space is just a very bad idea in my book.

If that's all you can get, just keep one fish in it and be patient about getting a bigger setup.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #3 
Draug Isilme

It's really not recommended to have anything smaller than a 10g for a sorority. Even if it was heavily planted, female bettas can still be aggressive; it's recommended to have 6 females minimum because it helps to distribute the aggressiveness. Which also means with a 5g, it would be too small for that large of a bioload... Not to mention the amount of room for females to run and try to get away from other chasing bettas wouldn't be as vast in a 5g...
Personally, it might be a pain in the butt but I think it'd be best to wait until you're able to get something bigger.
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #4 
zacheyp

are there any fish i could keep with a betta in a 5?
zacheyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

+1. Remember that sororities are not a natural way for females to live - normally they encounter each other on their travels but aren't forced to live together. They usually only work in a tank where there is sufficient space for the females to get away from each other.

I know how you feel - I dreamed of having a sorority for ages too. The way I managed was to find a 16 gallon tank that had only a slightly bigger footprint than my 5 gallon. It's definitely not an ideal shape for bettas, because it is tall and narrow, rather than long and shallow, which they much prefer, but they are doing well in it. :) So be on the look out for big tanks that fit in a small space.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #6 
Draug Isilme

Not really any fish- most that are decently compatible with bettas need to be in groups of 5 or more. Your best option are a snail and/or shrimp. Snails have large bioloads usually so it's best to have just 1 in a 5g. 2 at most DEPENDING on the type and that's still kinda pushing it from what I can tell >.>... Shrimp, however, have small bioloads so you could get away with having quite a few of them- although they have been known to become betta snacks so if you got them you definitely want to make sure the tank is heavily planted UNLESS you don't mind getting a continuous supply for you betta xD Good protein and some of the best foods are live...
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote