Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #1 
Bonbonisbff

Just in case of power outage?

I live in the Ohio Valley, where storms etc. are quite common. Our power at my house goes out at least 3 times a year, but it hasn't happened since I got my betta (5 mos ago). He lives in a 5-gallon tank that is heated to 79*F. What should I do if the power goes out? Especially if its in the colder months. I just want to make sure my Ripley is 100% happy 100% of the time :)
Bonbonisbff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:57 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

If your tank is cycled you may lose it to the power outage. The biggest thing is the heat. When the power goes out you are going to want to wrap up his tank in towels and blankets to retain the heat. Also make sure the light is off so when the power comes back on he won't be blinded by the light.

How long does your power usually go out?
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:20 PM   #3 
Bonbonisbff

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
If your tank is cycled you may lose it to the power outage. The biggest thing is the heat. When the power goes out you are going to want to wrap up his tank in towels and blankets to retain the heat. Also make sure the light is off so when the power comes back on he won't be blinded by the light.

How long does your power usually go out?
Usually 1-5 hours. Although 1 winter, during a blizzard, our power was out for 6 days!! But good ideas with the towels and things :) Thanks!
Bonbonisbff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:18 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden

A few hours wouldn't be a real problem. But if it happens for 6 days then you could have a problem. If your family has a generator maybe they would let you hook the heaters into it. I know of a battery-powered air pump for keeping circulation and bubble filters going during power outages, but I don't know of any battery-powered heaters.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #5 
callistra

Your thread is a bit old but worth commenting on. Get a UPS backup. Mine is by APC and rated 1500VA. I looked and it's going for like $400 now :\ but I bought mine about 3 years ago for under $200 so maybe there's a newer model or something: http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR1500G-BA...9677451&sr=8-2 I think that one may have replaced it.

It'll run for a few hours but not days.. nothing will help for days but a generator.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #6 
Leeniex

I lost power for a week in the fall following a freak snow storm. Had my fish in one tank (one in a cup), wrapped in blankets by the fire and I had to keep putting those hand warmers next to the tank to keep them alive. I lost 1, but managed to keep 2 alive.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote