Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2012, 05:33 AM   #21 
ravenwinds

I think it's an excellent idea. I saw the same things that you did in your searches, psiflow; it's either buy from petco (cuz petsmart has horrible selection of bettas here!) or try online, but every site I went to said they weren't selling at present. This was before I found this forum, of course. I would be very willing to buy from your site, knowing that I was getting a fish from a small breeder here in the USA. It would be nice to be able to purchase a good or excellent quality betta with coloring and/or fin type that is different, maybe something I've only seen in a book or on the internet.
PS: I understand the kind of site/business/service that you are contemplating and it's a grand idea!
PSS: sorry about run on sentences and grammar issues...it's late.
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #22 
Amphibianite

Curly - I am actually trying to get in touch with another breeder in the area, possibly the only other one I know of. I know of a few people who have tried in the past but moved on.
I personally fully understand that I have to breed a wide variety, including some VTs. The customer need a wide variety of fish to choose from.
I am hoping to give them the best selection of the best quality I can provide. Give them new colors and styles they wouldn't usually see in you average pet store. Things that *shudder* Walmart would never have. Something different than the red/blue VTs and CTs.
There is actually a tropical fish store in the same complex as the Mom and Pop LPS that is interested in me. They too are interested in taking some of the spawns. So that is helpful as well. I actually buy several of my breeding stock from said LFS and they usually have wonderful quality in if you have ever seen some of my boys. For example my dearly missed Prince Poppycock.
I know I won't see profit for at least a year as it is with any business. I have taken a number of business classes, and while my major is culinary I know how to apply things I learn into all aspect ^_^. I am just hoping the spawns will pay just enough for themselves I can afford to do another and another, set up a few tanks instead of the two I will be running at the moment. (I am running two spawns about two months apart or so to allow me to have a nearly steady stream of fry at hand. Hoping to expand as my knowledge grows)

Raven - I don't know about your Petsmart but mine up here in Cent Or, actually gets decent stock in. I have found some true gems in there.
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #23 
Curlyfatbottom

Try more if you don't already have all the set up and knowledge.
With the number you have to deal with.
It better to build a barrack system(drip system)
To house the fish
Just relying on a store to sell your product is a very slow method.
You have to think on how many fish will be sold out of the store.
Feeding
If your relying on store bought product.
Hard to say if your ever going to make a profit
Use your judgment
Just because u can raise 200 fish to adult
Your going to do it.
Female don't really get sold
Only choose a few male quality male to be sold
Honest true is the rest will be cull
Cause your putting your repetition on the fish that going to be sold
You don't want to put a bad name on yourself this early of the game
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #24 
Curlyfatbottom

Yeah look at the quaiity of my fish
Not going to lie it store bought.
My lfs is really hard to compete with.
With quality and qunity
Hmpk dragon marble
He just selling them from 7-12 dollar
Depending on old or new shipment
Plus his fish breed true(color and tail)
The only thing I can beat him is that I will know the age n parent of the fish.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #25 
Tappy4me

This sounds like an awesome idea! I've steered clear of Aquabid as I don't want to subject the fish to having to come from overseas to here. I would potentially buy from a site based here in the US if it was available.
Tappy4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:39 PM   #26 
Curlyfatbottom

Aquabid is world wide.
Betta is an open market
No point of land locking the market, it will only slow down process and make thing over price
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #27 
ravenwinds

Amphibianite- its nice to meet another Oregonian on this sit! I am glad to hear that petsmart near you carries a good selection of bettas. I figured that each store is a bit different in merchandise. Down here, grants pass petco carries a large selection w/ some variety while Medford petsmart usually has about 10 bettas and they all look sickly most of time. I could just be getting there at wrong time.
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:14 AM   #28 
Amphibianite

Curly - I understand that, I would just like to add at the moment before I pass out that I am just not selling to the LFS and LPS. I am also planning on selling here on this site, and aquabid. Yes I know these too can only go so far, but I am not putting all my eggs in one basket so to put it. I know there is only so much I can sell at a time, and only so much I can do.
I do appreciate any and all advice you have and will give. ^_^ So thank you a lot honestly.

Raven - depends on when you go I think. My petsmart get their shipments in on Friday, so that is usually when the best and healthiest are there.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #29 
Curlyfatbottom

Personal what Ive think about aquabid, is that your showing what skill and quailty you have in stock to other breeder.
Just a few bad sell to breeder will end the game for you.
Cause breeder will only buy fish at a higher price.
Another thing about breeder/selling
Not just base upon the quality of the fish.
The main point is, Can it produce the the same quality or better in the next generation.
So learn how to rate the fish on quality and gene pool.
What is the stander for each breed.
So do some research and your homework before you start selling

I've think the more I go on.
The harder it get on you
Will that the different between a short tine breeder to a long term breeder

Breeder reputation is not base on the number of fish he/she sell, it's the quality.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #30 
Amphibianite

I agree, that it is a matter of pure quality. I don't plan on making a name for myself by selling subpar fish. If anything, those will be going to friends and family who want them to give them home and don't plan on breeding themselves. I plan on only selling the best quality I can.
Sorry for short post but busy busy busy here.

Tags
breeding, business, petsmart, petstore, selling